Forum

Consider taking B.A.S.E. Jumper off the whitelist.

Created 30th September 2014 @ 01:59

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

Starkie

ulti?
sniper

Quoted from Popcorp

[…]

http://youtu.be/T9wsz5qbaTI?t=8m41s

yeah but surely he wouldnt have been in range of that sentry anyway, so it wasn’t a factor

Fuxx

REMOVE

It’s a glitch nonetheless and can still be abused against just about every sentry spot in just about every map, opening more opportunities that should not exist.

ondkaja

IKEA

Quoted from Fuxx

It’s a glitch nonetheless and can still be abused against just about every sentry spot in just about every map, opening more opportunities that should not exist.

No, there’s only a few spots on every map where doing this glitch actually opens up oppurtunities that didn’t already exist. In all situations it’s far more useful for a demo to be extremely high up in the skybox with the base jumper, well outside the sentry range, in order to not get killed while having time to put out as much stickies as possible. This is how qnx does it and that’s how he has achieved moderate success. I’ve yet to see anyone being useful with the base jumper while floating in the opponents’ face. Only in situations where it is physically impossible to avoid the sentry range would this glitch open up oppurtunities that didn’t already exist. Like on upward last, steel, gullywash last etc. But since the BASE jumper isn’t effectiveat this range, we can conclude that there are very few points where this is actually a viable tactic.

If somebody can actually prove that this glitch in particular is overpowered (and not just baseless speculation that borders into wishful thinking *cough* Reservoir Dog *cough*) and game breaking, then maybe a ban should be considered. But until then, stop whining and learn to adapt. It would be a pity to ban the BASE jumper because it is actually a fun and interesting weapon.

jwso

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡9

but then again bug-using is not allowed on etf2l so it should still be bannable

also

Quoted from ondkaja

a few spots on every map

ok that sounds fine

Fuxx

REMOVE

Quoted from ondkaja

-snip-

If we assume that an exploit should only be banned if abusing it is overpowered then yes, that makes sense. You’re not explaining the reason behind this assumption however and you still define this as being underpowered even though you admit that yes it is useful in at least some situations. It is also gamebreaking (even if “slightly”) to hover around a sentry that can’t inflict damage on you.

Allow me to give examples of abuse taking place:
Suicide bombing at the start of a payload map, like Badwater. Sentries are left unwrangled on purpose to deal with jumpers automatically, but now they deal zero damage and so you have significantly more airtime, as the main damage dealer to you has been neutralized. In the time it takes for the enemy team to kill you you’ve already been able to deal significant damage with sticky spam.
This forces the defending team’s combo to focus fire on the Demo specifically, allowing the soldier to jump in without contest at the same time. Since sentry is trying to shoot the demo, it doesn’t do anything to stop the soldier who can help deal more damage.

edit: And this doesn’t include situations in which the combo is already occupied with something else, dead or unable to deal with bug abusing demos for whatever other reason.

“So just use wrangler instead”, I can predict some of you saying

Well, remember when in Upward you could drop the BLU medic in spawn during setup through a tiny tiny hole? Literally all you had to do to avoid that fate was to not stand in the extremely restricted and limited place that can get you killed while the sniper is looking at it, yet it was banned anyway.

Not overpowered, only doable a single time in only a single map but enough to change rules. The only difference is that it had nothing to do with unlocks.

Last edited by Fuxx,

ondkaja

IKEA

Quoted from Fuxx

[…]

If we assume that an exploit should only be banned if abusing it is overpowered then yes, that makes sense. You’re not explaining the reason behind this assumption however and you still define this as being underpowered even though you admit that yes it is useful in at least some situations. It is also gamebreaking (even if “slightly”) to hover around a sentry that can’t inflict damage on you.

Allow me to give examples of abuse taking place:
Suicide bombing at the start of a payload map, like Badwater. Sentries are left unwrangled on purpose to deal with jumpers automatically, but now they deal zero damage and so you have significantly more airtime, as the main damage dealer to you has been neutralized. In the time it takes for the enemy team to kill you you’ve already been able to deal significant damage with sticky spam.
This forces the defending team’s combo to focus fire on the Demo specifically, allowing the soldier to jump in without contest at the same time. Since sentry is trying to shoot the demo, it doesn’t do anything to stop the soldier who can help deal more damage.

edit: And this doesn’t include situations in which the combo is already occupied with something else, dead or unable to deal with bug abusing demos for whatever other reason.

“So just use wrangler instead”, I can predict some of you saying

Well, remember when in Upward you could drop the BLU medic in spawn during setup through a tiny tiny hole? Literally all you had to do to avoid that fate was to not stand in the extremely restricted and limited place that can get you killed while the sniper is looking at it, yet it was banned anyway.

Not overpowered, only doable a single time in only a single map but enough to change rules. The only difference is that it had nothing to do with unlocks.

That’s not necessarily true. If the soldier is closer to the sentry than the demoman is, the sentry will focus the soldier. If the demo floats closer to the sentry in order to make more room for the soldier, he will be easier to focus down because that mean’s he will be closer to the combo as well. So you have a situation where either the soldier gets focused down by the sentry, or the demoman is easily focused down.

The question isn’t if this is viable, because that’s pure speculation. The question is if it’s more viable than just a regular suicide round. My intuition says that it’s just as viable.

I never argued for banning the sniper exploit. To be honest, I’d allow that shit since it’s in the map and teams should know the map or otherwise get punished for it. It wasn’t game breaking and easily avoided. I even argued against banning the teleporter exploit on upward last, sadly to no avail. But these bans are easier to justify because they only ban the exploit itself. Banning an entire weapon has more implications to the game.

Fuxx

REMOVE

I see your point. Time will tell then.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2