Created 13th July 2013 @ 13:43

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 7 Next »

Haim

addict!

A nice balanced weapon.

Toba

(a boT from the North)
Lutunen

Any feedback for the winger from the cup? http://www.vanillatf2.org/2013/07/vanillatv-covering-this-weeks-esa-cup/

vox

-9w-

No more unlocks pls.

Watching the ESA unlocks cup was just like watching hl games (where three people have trouble connecting).
Chaotic and not really entertaining.

Dont see how adding all these unlocks would bring anything to the 6v6 scene other than please the teams who love running full time heavy and defend with engi at last.
Quick Fix and Short Circuit basically ruins Kritzkrieg, seeing as you can just destroy the projectiles, or jump away with your medic mans as soon as it is popped.

Dont like unlocks. They’re dumb.

edit: sorry if wrong thread btw, since I really didnt say anything about the winger, but I just couldnt be bothered creating a thread.

Last edited by vox,

kKaltUu

UbeR |
-chess-

Quoted from vox

Dont like unlocks. They’re dumb.

Whelp, thanks for confirming. We can go home now.

In all seriousness, I only have to glance in the American direction and you can see it CAN work. The ESA cup (and maybe other cups… ^^ ) are the first possibility where players can test their new weapons in a competitive 6v6 setting. Of course I’ll be terrible. Of course people will think some are overpowered. But we have to check somewhere how it will pan out.

Smyther

X

If the Quick-Fix gets allowed, then medics can become more mobile and the game becomes more fast paced. I haven’t played a lot of other class-based fps games, but friends tell me TF2 is by far the most fast paced of the lot. I think that fast-paced coordination is what makes TF2 so fun so welcome unlocks and maps that do that, and given people complain about granary being slow, I think others would agree to that too (I know those complaints are wrong, but the point is they like fast games).

So if the winger helps the game in that direction (or helps them keep up with and faster pace the QF brings), then I’d welcome the winger, especially since it trades damage.

Edit: Also, does the lower gravity transfer to a healing QF medic like the speed? That’d be awesome.

Last edited by Smyther,

aura

Quoted from vox

Watching the ESA unlocks cup was just like watching hl games (where three people have trouble connecting).
Chaotic and not really entertaining.

Smyther

X

Quoted from aura

[…]

So are you using ESA to argue against allowing just the winger (like OP suggested) or just throwing it out there that you don’t want all the unlocks ESA allowed in ETF2L (like OP didn’t suggest)?

.kr4tos

(ETF2L Donator)
FLANK
DGB

you can do a few jumps, shown in the video, without the winger. it just requires more skills of jumping tbh.

i dont see a point in allowing all these unlocks. im kinda fine with gunboats and stuff like the balance for not having a shotgun is fair. also with the escape plan where you take mini crits now -> really fair.
but i dont know if its fair, if a scout can reach like every spot he want. can jump higher which would make the scout like impossible to hit if he is smart enough.

also back to the other unlocks… for example “quickfix”… the medic could fucking fly… seriously wtf? he could just jump in onto a 2nd/last point with a demo, who have paintrain equipped, uber him (which give him like 100heals /second) and i guess he they could still capture the point (i might be wrong with that) but you can not really “outsmart” this, if a team knows how to play it, it would be like impossible to defend this or at least really dificult.
fact is playing “vanilla” (without any unlocks) requires the most skills. but yeah, like i already said. some of the unlocks are fine, because they are balanced

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from .kr4tos

also back to the other unlocks… for example “quickfix”… the medic could fucking fly… seriously wtf? he could just jump in onto a 2nd/last point with a demo, who have paintrain equipped, uber him (which give him like 100heals /second) and i guess he they could still capture the point (i might be wrong with that) but you can not really “outsmart” this, if a team knows how to play it, it would be like impossible to defend this or at least really dificult.

A few stickies can outsmart a lot of things. It may not kill them but it’ll blow them off the point.

Alternatively wait for the uber to fade then kill the medic.

I don’t know, it seems a bit silly to me to sacrifice your medic like that.

If a demo + medic with just the two of them are capable of pushing out of badlands last and capping spire against a team of 6, I don’t think the part where the medic can fly is the worst issue in this scenario..

private_meta

STDs

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

A few stickies can outsmart a lot of things. It may not kill them but it’ll blow them off the point.

Alternatively wait for the uber to fade then kill the medic.

I don’t know, it seems a bit silly to me to sacrifice your medic like that.

If a demo + medic with just the two of them are capable of pushing out of badlands last and capping spire against a team of 6, I don’t think the part where the medic can fly is the worst issue in this scenario..

don’t know about capping, but quickfix denies all knockback.

for the winger, for a leit of scouts it’s a serious sidegrade with the limited pistol shots. I wouldn’t care if they added it.

Vlijm

UbeR |

Pretty boys pocket pistol, winger
Liberty Launcher, Equalizer
Degreaser
GRU
Ambassador, Cloak and dagger
Huntsman, some of those machetes
Quick Fix
Wrangler, Frontier Justice
And demo NOTHING

These are unlocks which could be allowed imo. Makes some classes more viable and makes the game faster i recon

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from private_meta

quickfix denies all knockback

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Ok so that’s pretty strong. Still, even without knockback and with super-heals, a 2v6 onto spire shouldn’t be possible.

Everything ‘new’ is overpowered only until people work out how to counter it.

rytis

PrettyGay

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Ok so that’s pretty strong. Still, even without knockback and with super-heals, a 2v6 onto spire shouldn’t be possible.

Everything ‘new’ is overpowered only until people work out how to counter it.

how do you counter a weapon, when you uber and the enemy combo just jumps out?

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from rytis

the enemy combo just jumps out?

Sounds like that achieves exactly what you want. The enemy leaves = you gain more ground. You are now free to position yourself more to your advantage.

Smyther

X

I think quick-fix blocks capping, but the wiki doesn’t say.
Quoted from rytis

[…]
how do you counter a weapon, when you uber and the enemy combo just jumps out?

Run QF yourself? Run kritz? Lay enough stickies to kill them if they touch the point? Go for a back cap? Kill the rest of the team (they won’t have full heals).

Someone else mentioned that QF only works on scout-friendly maps and fails on soldier-friendly ones, so clearly there are things you can do to deal with it. Besides anything else, use the shotgun/scouts to deny jumps. And for the winger making scouts impossible to hit, remember they have to have the winger out to get the effect (so no meatshots) and surely reduced gravity means the arc they fall along is straighter and so easier to predict?

But bollocks to this; we’re theory-crafting now. Quick-fix and winger for season 16; if it turns out shit, we’ll ban it again.

Last edited by Smyther,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 7 Next »