[S3] Provisional map pool feedback

Created 14th October 2012 @ 16:06

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Next »

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

Discuss the provisional map pool here.

Updated proposal:

After some internal debate and based on your feedback, we’ve adjusted the provisional map pool to the following:

Week 1: Badwater
Week 2: Granary + Viaduct_pro
Week 3: Upward
Week 4: Lakeside + Granary
Week 5: Gravelpit

An alternative layout for Week 2 could be cp_steel.

Please stick to constructive feedback and keep it civil. “I hate Swiftwater” is nice but doesn’t give us anything to work with. “I hate Swiftwater because the third point is frustrating to push against a wrangled sentry on the balcony above the point” is more valuable to us.

Key points we are interested in the most:

Is a 6 map pool too much for a 5 map season? Why?

Is this a fun and diverse map selection? If not, what would you change and why?

Last edited by emb,

Beanie

I honestly did not want swiftwater, I’ll be honest with you, it’s fairly too long, and frankly too big, plus pushing to point 4 can be a big ass especially if there is a wrangled sentry up behind 4th point.

I suggest replacing swiftwater with Viaduct pro, RC3, much better map, king of the hill, DM, and very fun.

Muuki

sirkkels
GG

Replace haunt with converge or turbine_pro please.

Not that big of a fan of swiftwater myself, not really fitting for a 5 week season with such a scarce amount of maps played, rather play some map which is familiar to most people.

ondkaja

IKEA

I really like gravelpit, so I welcome the decision to have it in the map pool. Can’t say the same about Haunt and Lakeside, as I think Turbine and Viaduct are much better maps.

In my opinion, what makes a map good is the size; if the map is too big it doesn’t allow for much close combat, which makes a map faster since the damage output is higher on close range. A problem with many maps is that maps are really slow because you need to commit too much (i.e. you need to take a greater risk) when pushing, which makes the overall play more passive, spending much time trying to create an advantage before pushing.

This is also the reason why I prefer Viaduct over Lakeside and Turbine over Haunt, these maps allow for closer combat and have faster pace.

One thing I reacted to, 4 out of 6 maps in the map pool are A/D, and there are no 5cp maps at all. I would like to see Gullywash in the map pool again, it’s a good 5cp map for highlander and it is not entirely untested since it was used in HL season 1. I would like to remove one payload map in favour of one or two 5cp maps, since this creates more diversity.

Last edited by ondkaja,

aura

cp_steel anyone?

anti2

Haunt? noooooooooooo

converge, turbine, viaduct, gullywash, follower

Last edited by anti2,

Linus

[d¿s]

Don’t really think swiftwater is really neccessery when the map pool is so small, too many pl maps. Granary would be nice, best 5cp hl map.

unu

Looks great! 3 of 6 maps from last season pool though… Not gonna complain though since I love them (except lakeside).

Glad to see there was no ASSville or viaduct.

A 5cp map such as Gully would be great though (we tried process the other day in a double mix and it worked better than expected). Just any 5cp map.

Last edited by unu,

Flood

The map list looks awesome, I think Haunt could be replaced by another ctf like turbine, or 5cp. I’ve always found gullywash or granary to be awesome in hl

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

When arguing against Haunt, can you provide actual arguments why you dislike the map? If you discard the map just because it is new, I suggest trying a balanced scrim before dismissing it, as it is quite different from Turbine in both layout, game design and even CTF mechanics. When this map was being tested at UGC, most players found the fast-paced CTF a great improvement from Turbine, via a lot of positive forum feedback.

Something worth noting is that our site’s scoring system doesn’t support one KOTH/5CP/CTF map per match and maintaining fair scoring on par with BO3 maps. As such we must use two “short” maps per match, to balance the points received from BO3 maps with points received from matches with “short” maps.

If we would say, remove Swiftwater and replace it with Granary, that week would have two “short” maps instead – for example, Granary + Lakeside. Would having two weeks with 2 maps each make it too difficult for teams to prepare in time?

Last edited by emb,

aura

Quoted from emb

When arguing against Haunt, can you provide actual arguments why you dislike the map?

It’s unpolished and It’s been played in ugc summer season (another version of it) so nobody really likes it.

Last edited by aura,

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

Quoted from aura

[…]

It’s unpolished and It’s been played in ugc summer season (another version of it) so nobody really likes it.

In the first post, I asked for constructive arguments. How is it unpolished? What problems does the map have? What indication do you have that “nobody likes it”, even though the feedback from the UGC summer season seemed to be universally positive?

You are essentially saying “haunt sucks because I say so”, which is not very helpful.

Last edited by emb,

aura

Quoted from emb

[…]
How is it unpolished?What problems does the map have?

From level design perspective it’s looks like an early beta. Don’t know about the newest version but it had some places where engies weren’t suppose to build.

What indication do you have that “nobody likes it”, even though the feedback from the UGC summer season seemed to be universally positive?

yet it’s not included in current map pool

You are essentially saying “haunt sucks because I say so”, which is not very helpful.

and you seem to like the map

Last edited by aura,

kaidus

WiK?

I really dislike swiftwater, I’m not really sure what argument I can make other than it’s not a very good map. The flow is incredibly poor, the layout is ill considered and makes for very scrappy and confusing battles. I’m basing most of this on 3rd and 4th point, but I’d really much rather see something else in it’s place.

I haven’t played all that many highlander maps that aren’t in the etf2l pool, but from tonight’s experience I think granary is actually not bad at all. In terms of adding variety without sacrificing the quality of games I think it’s a good pick.

Oxy

TC.Express

CTF maps should go die in a fire. They are not suited to this game and it often just becomes a huge mess (at least at a lower level). It is also much harder to rotate around haunt like you do with turbine (dunno if people will get what I mean). It is also far too easy to defend a lead on CTF maps after you have it meaning the first couple of points are often too important.

Glad to see no 5cp maps though, they are for 6v6 and not highlander, the games were always too slow and many classes roles were considered very little.

Swiftwater is fine. Same with badwater, upward & lakeside. So overall not too bad.

Last edited by Oxy,

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Next »