Forum

Allowing a few unlocks?

Created 7th June 2012 @ 11:42

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 9 10 11 ... 21 Next »

aaaaa

heavy limit 2 again please

and allow sandvich because playing heavy is too hard without it

alfa

some players get their jim-jims rustled because they can’t adapt change, no way etf2l will ever allow any unlocks (but medlocks) in the game

the Original debate was pretty funny “it affects the game”

Last edited by alfa,

Quoted from aaaaa

heavy limit 2 again please

and allow sandvich because playing heavy is too hard without it

demo limit 2 again please

and allow eyelander because playing demo is too hard without it

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from alfa

some players get their jim-jims rustled because they can’t adapt change, no way etf2l will ever allow any unlocks (but medlocks) in the game

the Original debate was pretty funny “it affects the game”

Sometimes I wish I lived in Australia.
Quoted from MightyMe

I’ve read alot of the argueing in this topic, and admire the amount of effort being put in these posts.
I think the overall opinion is that vanilla is great, and it works very well, so why would we change it?

Don’t mix up ‘vanilla is great’ with ‘unlocks are bad’.

marshu

Overdose for Medic, such a great item in general, takes off damage, but in return medic receives speed, which makes dodging a bit easier.

Izziii

When was the last time you saw a soldier or scout kill someone with a melee weapon? But when medic gets a saw that gives you uber every time you slice someone, noone complains and everyone thinks its balanced. Either remove ubersaw/medlocks or consider adding something like paintrain/equlizer/bostonbasher

Selek

Dr. med.

Sorry if I missed the discussion about this, but what about making off-classes more versatile or viable?

For instance, allowing Degreaser/Flaregun/Detonator/Axtinguisher (not all of them) for the Pyro, or Cloak’n’Dagger and Ambassador for the Spy. The Pyro weapons would make him a bit more viable when not using him for the sole purpose of blasting people off the last point.

The Spy unlocks would promote different playstyles (C’n’D, allowing waiting for the right moment for crucial picks, but “losing” a player during that time) and skill (Ambassador, rewarding good aim with high damage output).

What are the arguments against it? “We want vanilla!”? “We want to preserve the classic 2+2+1+1 lineup”? Surely not “That would be OP!”, because those classes are only used situationally right now.

NoJu

8D

Quoted from Selek

Sorry if I missed the discussion about this, but what about making off-classes more versatile or viable?

For instance, allowing Degreaser/Flaregun/Detonator/Axtinguisher (not all of them) for the Pyro, or Cloak’n’Dagger and Ambassador for the Spy. The Pyro weapons would make him a bit more viable when not using him for the sole purpose of blasting people off the last point.

The Spy unlocks would promote different playstyles (C’n’D, allowing waiting for the right moment for crucial picks, but “losing” a player during that time) and skill (Ambassador, rewarding good aim with high damage output).

What are the arguments against it? “We want vanilla!”? “We want to preserve the classic 2+2+1+1 lineup”? Surely not “That would be OP!”, because those classes are only used situationally right now.

I’ll admit that I know fuck all about playing Spy, but the Pyro’s issues was never damage, it was mobility. None of the unlocks really address that, so no-one will run a Pyro.

Tornf4lk

cc//

Quoted from Selek

the revolver is a really good weapon so honestly I don’t think we NEED the ambassador. the spy could be used a lot, and the reason it’s more skillful/balanced with the regular is that he can’t stay still. He has to be on the move picking ammo packs. anybody could do it if they spent enough time playing the class on comp maps.
the axtinguisher is an upgrade and honestly is just annoying to play against. flaregun allows for long range finishing off, something the pyro isn’t supposed to do. The damage on that thing is also ridiculous.

Personally I think the detonator would be an interesting weapon to see in comp. The long range thing is still a problem. but the jumping would be really interesting.

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from Tornf4lk

the axtinguisher is an upgrade and honestly is just annoying to play against. flaregun allows for long range finishing off, something the pyro isn’t supposed to do. The damage on that thing is also ridiculous.

Mind you, this is the type of thinking that limits everyone when it comes to this discussion. Just because something is just annoying to play against doesn’t mean we should disallow it.

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

The only reason we play with the current default line up is because that’s the best way to play. Back in the day EVERY team ran heavy, but most soon realised he fat and slow. Didn’t matter on maps like well and dustbowl though.

No-one decided it had to be this way, it evolved.

Playing with loads of these unlocks mentioned brings a lottery to mid fights. How do you plan a rollout if you got no idea if you’ll have soldiers to deal with or double pyro or spies or heavies or any other combination. This reduces skill and increases luck.

Cloak and dagger makes spying FAR to easy. Just sit there waiting for the right moment to pounce. Again, reduces skill.

The classes that have evolved into the situational roles are there for a reason. I see no reason to make them more useable by changing how they play and reducing their weak points. Class based game needs defined roles to each class.

It’s vanilla for a reason, tried and tested, I love it. If you don’t, go play dota2, then you can use as many it’s items as you can buy. Gl hf.

Last edited by Monkeh,

NoJu

8D

Quoted from freshmeatt

[…]
Mind you, this is the type of thinking that limits everyone when it comes to this discussion. Just because something is just annoying to play against doesn’t mean we should disallow it.

Uh, yes it does. It’s a fucking video game. If something isn’t enjoyable, why the fuck should we allow it?

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from NoJu

[…]

Uh, yes it does. It’s a fucking video game. If something isn’t enjoyable, why the fuck should we allow it?

It’s far too easy for everyone to fall into a trap of describing everything as irritating in my opinion.

Tornf4lk

cc//

Quoted from freshmeatt

[…]

I realize now that I should have left that bit out and just focused on the fact that it’s a clear upgrade and is therefore OP. Thanks for pointing that out :)

Quoted from Izziii

When was the last time you saw a soldier or scout kill someone with a melee weapon? But when medic gets a saw that gives you uber every time you slice someone, noone complains and everyone thinks its balanced. Either remove ubersaw/medlocks or consider adding something like paintrain/equlizer/bostonbasher

Because the medic is taking an enormous risk for something that isn’t even guaranteed to pay off, he doesn’t get a massive speed bonus from it and he doesn’t deal 100+ damage with it.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 9 10 11 ... 21 Next »