Forum

[HL] Experimental Cup #1 - Map Feedback

Created 31st January 2012 @ 20:44

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

Quoted from gnaw

Has pl_frontier_final ever been played in a proper Highlander game? From my worthless pub experience point of view it looks really good for it, but I do not know if more knowledgeable eyes have considered in the past.

Played it during a pcw and some highlander double mixes. It is absolutely frustrating to attack on due to a massive defenders advantage, which is not obvious in pub play.

Slm

ciortai

Achievement_idle map is 10 times better than cp_upland.

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

upland makes me want to strangle kittens with barbed wire. and that is putting it mildly

the abundance of side passages and shortcuts and dropdowns and nooks and crannies is great for pub play, but way too difficult to control in highlander, and makes calls a nightmare.

i presume there is no chance of upland getting replaced with something else? like follower? or hell, bazillion?

Last edited by emb,

Smirre

duplo

Cp_Upland.. Extremely easy to hold on to B because you could spam and snipe into the BLU spawn. Also the only other way to get to the B point was through long choke points.

Mark

Phase

Quoted from Smirre

Cp_Upland.. Extremely easy to hold on to B because you could spam and snipe into the BLU spawn. Also the only other way to get to the B point was through long choke points.

Can you get a screen of the specific sniping spot?

Smirre

duplo

Quoted from Mark

[…]

Can you get a screen of the specific sniping spot?

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/505764150479539471/CF65B24B90AEC44518BF5A9C4025C2986B982E7B/

Mark

Phase

Hmm, thanks, that’s what I thought. Well I don’t think it’s as game breaking as you said, but I’ll raise the wooden wall there a little bit anyway. Cheers!

Smirre

duplo

Quoted from Mark

Hmm, thanks, that’s what I thought. Well I don’t think it’s as game breaking as you said, but I’ll raise the wooden wall there a little bit anyway. Cheers!

The sniping thing wasnt that big of a deal because i think they had to jump to get sniped, but still..
The thing i dislike the most is the fact that you can get hit without even leaving spawn, i thought it was supposed to be a safe place :

Mark

Phase

Well yeah, it’s a bug. Remember that the maps you’re testing aren’t finished.

s3

I rather like cp_upland. I didn’t play in this cup (will play in the finals though) but I’ve played it 4-5 times in pcws/doublemixes. It does have a lot of nooks, crannies and side-passages, but I’m not convinced that’s a bad thing. I’ve enjoyed it every time I’ve played it at least, even though it’s mostly been headless chickens running around. Certain points seem hard to push, like C (massive high ground advantage from all sides for defenders) and spawn times seem a bit off. If you kill a few players you can pretty much cap E before they spawn if you put some effort into it, even if you only had A and maybe B beforehand.

However! If the creator won’t update it, there’s no reason to keep playing it. The map has great potential, but it’s not perfect in its current state. The problems we’ve found in 4-5 games will only be the start of the list after 20+ games, so unless the creator agrees to tweak it… we might as well scrap it now and save ourselves the frustration. If anyone knows honeymustard, badger and pester him to get cracking. It could be a really nice highlander and pub map, but tweaking is definitely needed.

In other news, you might consider some other custom maps. I may be in the minority, but I’ve sort-of enjoyed some of the CTF maps that Wireplay 7v7 has run, namely ctf_cloudburst and ctf_converge. CTF can be done in TF2, but all the official maps are shit. I mean really, who likes 2fort, doublecross and turbine? F2Ps and shitters, that’s who. ctf_converge is a different take on CTF, where you have to deliver the flag to the enemy’s base instead of bringing it home, which leads to some funny strategies. ctf_cloudburst is normal CTF, but… better. Easier to cap, harder to defend. More dynamic and energetic games than what you’ll get on the official CTF maps.
There are other interesting concept maps (standin for example) that might be worth trying. Something I’d like to try but haven’t seen done yet is something like “single stage TC”, that is… each team has one control point, and whoever holds both points first (or holds both for a certain amount of time) wins. So, like KOTH but with 2 points. Maybe it’s been done already, but it would be interesting… I think.

And as for foundry: Too sniper friendly, in highlander I’ve played doublemixes where one sniper was able to pretty much carry a team with the huge sniper sight lines. I’m sure yoyotech (and therefore SNSD) will agree here, considering the treatment their medic received in 6v6 against broder on cp_foundry. It can work, but it’s not quite there yet.

Barnblitz, haven’t played it enough yet. I’m sure SNSD will show us why it’s fucked in the upcoming cup finals though, so stay tuned.

And that’s the end of my novel for now. Cheers.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from Mark

Well yeah, it’s a bug. Remember that the maps you’re testing aren’t finished.

s3 – this is the map creator here posting on the map. ;)

s3

Quoted from Hildreth

[…]

s3 – this is the map creator here posting on the map. ;)

Oh, mark is honeymustard :O

Well fuck, how was I supposed to know? :P
All I’d heard until now was that the creator had pretty much called it done and moved on, but if we’ll see some updates I am quite excited indeed! If he suffers from td;dr disease, my complaints are: hard to attack D due to low-ground disadvantage, alternative routes (around back) are extremely dangerous due to airblast. Spawn times, not sure how they are tweaked but they seem really long sometimes for defenders. Glad to see that the map might have some life in it still!

irfx

EPA

Well, the cup showed that knowledge of the map is much more useful than dm skill :]

I haven’t played 1st round @ pl_barnblitz, but I played it a lot before. This map is very good, except for the last point, which is quite easy to defend and capturing it requires huge uber/player advantage (still pl_upward is pretty similar in that way). So I think that the best way to play this map (as long as mentioned upward or badwater) is bo3 (UGC-style).

The 2nd round was very fun, because cp_foundry is atm the best 5cp map for 9v9. It is sniper-friendly, maybe, but it is good still. Though I don’t like 5cp maps for highlander and I suppose that perfect mappool should contain only AD/PL/KOTH.

The 3rd map is emm difficult. It has potential, but needs to be simplified and balanced against snipers watching spawns. Also this map requires A LOT OF PRACTISE. And another moment – yesterday our medic died when he falled in a hell pit near the red spawn when defending A, he is still upset.

Finals are gonna be spectacular anyway.

Last edited by irfx,

TviQ

ft.

Also remove some of these choke points, Between A-D example And make some entrances bigger like moving from B to E Making it larger all around as it sooo easy to just spam like shit, It worked in steel (sort of) as generlly that map is small compared to upland its fucking gigantic So moving between all of these diffrent points with diffrent hights on the points and looots of entrances to cover. A lot of entraces to cover might help slighlty with the size of each point but really it’s goddamn annoying. :) i’ve also got loads of Bugspots where your supposly not to sit in, Add me on steam and I’ll show you :D

Linus

[d¿s]

Barnblitz – will play in the final, havent played it yet properly in hl apart from maybe one occasion ages ago..

Foundry – best 5cp in highlander, quite fun for any class I believe, should be in the map pool for s2, and im saying that even though i think its a pretty bad map for 6v6.

Upland – My first thought was “what the hell is this map supposed to be”. What at first sight feels like a random maze map thats only focus is to confuse the players is actually a quite clever layout much like steel, except with a lot more vertical play which i actually like (reminds me of hightower in that sense).

The game we had (and won) was actually quite fun, with a couple of our players randomly getting lost and falling off the map. The only downside is that given its complexity it is going to recieve a lot of hatred.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »