Forum

[HL S2] Unlock Feedback

Created 29th January 2012 @ 23:01

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 10 Next »

ashkan

This thread is now dedicated to general unlock discussions.
Visit this thread for map discussions for the experimental cup: http://etf2l.org/forum/feedback/topic-20194/

s3

Also, Machina and Detonator don’t really need to be banned. Machina has a very small buff in the damage (172 vs 150 for normal full charge), still won’t one-shot any more classes than the normal ones would on a body shot. Getting multiple kills is so stupidly rare that it’s a non-issue. I’ve seen it maybe 5-10 times in all our PCWs since it was introduced, with MrLate or myself using it almost every time. Removing the ability to noscope is more than enough of a downside to make it balanced.
Detonator… Meh, you can light a few people on fire if they’re stacked up, and the jumps are extremely limited in usefulness. In fact, I would allow it if only to see some cool jump spots and stuff. The main reason to use the flare gun (any flare gun really) over the shotgun is for harassment (igniting snipers mainly) and the guaranteed crits on burning targets. Harassing is the same with the detonator (a bit easier, but you need to pay more attention), but the crits are reduced to mini-crits. I see no problem here (as a career pyro, mind you).
The shotgun is better in 90% of situations anyways.

Philogistinator: Stupid, stupid, stupid. W+M1 and then run into a crowd and taunt, get free crits. wat. The crits are stupidly OP, and so is the magic heal/damage reduction that the taunting grants. Rightfully banned, although it’s probably pretty useless in highlander against a half decent team.

Enforcer: Still OP, beta “nerf” or not. Seeing enemy health is a somewhat big deal, but not enough to offset the fact that it’s a straight upgrade for DR spies.

What is the reason for banning The Detonator? Any admin thoughts about this?

Compared to other banned weapons, it doesn`t have any big flaws.

The rest of the list is fine, gj guys :)

ashkan

Quoted from Reservoir Dog

What is the reason for banning The Detonator? Any admin thoughts about this?

Compared to other banned weapons, it doesn`t have any big flaws.

The detonator is not banned.

Vasa_kot

Ki11ERS.PRO

Quoted from ashkan

[…]

But it is mentioned in the original post for some reason.

JDx

nn

To the owners of this league:
I am strongly against making restrictions on unlocks, no matter how whiny people get about them.
The moment you make items restrictions in pro leagues, you change the game drasticly from what 99 precent of the community used to and love. Changing the game drasticly like that, extremly lowers this league rating and popularity among 99 precent of the common players in tf2. When you dont have community to watch your league, you will not earn money from this league, as pro league is not for the pro’s , but for the common players..

the right way, in case you feel there is imbalance in the game , is to contact valve and ask them to fix it – after proving them the imbalnces.

to be honest, I do if I were in your position, I would do whats the majority of the community wants, and not what bunch of newbies-pro-wannabes want

ashkan

Quoted from Vasa_kot

[…]
But it is mentioned in the original post for some reason.

The bans for season 2 have not been decided yet (it wasn’t banned last season either). We wanted to take the opportunity to open up for discussion on some unlocks (feedback we can use in our decision making), hence this thread.

It was mentioned in the original post:

Quoted from Hildreth

Use this thread to discuss unlock for season 2 of Highlander. Below are some suggestions on unlocks to discuss:

– The Enforcer (note: has been changed in the beta)
– Machina
– Pomson 6000
– Philogistinator
– Spy-cicle
– The Detonator

At this stage, unlock rules for season 2 have not been decided.

The thread will be closely moderated and punishments given out relatively easily. Keep it civil.

Jazz

ScS|
(Q)<

Quoted from Hildreth

Use this thread to discuss unlock for season 2 of Highlander. Below are some suggestions on unlocks to discuss:

– Machina
– Pomson 6000
– Philogistinator
– Spy-cicle
– The Detonator

The thread will be closely moderated and punishments given out relatively easily. Keep it civil.

Personally i only see that the Pomson and Philog and spy-cicle as being bannable weapons. Mainly because the spycicle i feel is too strong and the other weapons kill fps atm and are a tad stupid (but haven’t played with them enough to make a good enough decision)

I don’t see why the detonator is banned the bug was fixed a while back and also a pyro being able to flare jump is really cool. allows a few more plays than one would think.

Still don’t get why the enforcer would be ban (would love a good argument for this other than it can two shot at close range)

I agree that machina shouldn’t be banned the likelyhood of multi-kill is rare and if you one congrats and well done for being patient.

Andee

GoT<3
HoT<3

Quoted from JDx

Alot of blabla

The main reason for playing competitive in the HL league is fun. It’s fun to test your own gaming skills and to work as a team. To be able to compete and test each others abilities, you need even ground and rules to even things out. But some of the ingame weapons are very unbalanced, or distracting, creating a luck factor. This means that those weapons block the ablity for teams to compete on a skill based manner. And so they get banned. Most of the ingame weapons however are allowed :)

Last edited by Andee,

ashkan

Quoted from Jazz

I don’t see why the detonator is banned the bug was fixed a while back

Please note that the Detonator is not banned. It was allowed in season 1 (when the bug still existed) and the latest experimental cup. See comments below.

Quoted from Hildreth

Below are some suggestions on unlocks to discuss:

– Machina
– Pomson 6000
– Philogistinator
– Spy-cicle
– The Detonator

Quoted from ashkan

[…]

Quoted from ashkan

[…]

The bans for season 2 have not been decided yet (it wasn’t banned last season either). We wanted to take the opportunity to open up for discussion on some unlocks (feedback we can use in our decision making), hence this thread.

Beef

Dawson

Quoted from JDx

To the owners of this league:
I am strongly against making restrictions on unlocks, no matter how whiny people get about them.
The moment you make items restrictions in pro leagues, you change the game drasticly from what 99 precent of the community used to and love. Changing the game drasticly like that, extremly lowers this league rating and popularity among 99 precent of the common players in tf2. When you dont have community to watch your league, you will not earn money from this league, as pro league is not for the pro’s , but for the common players..

the right way, in case you feel there is imbalance in the game , is to contact valve and ask them to fix it – after proving them the imbalnces.

to be honest, I do if I were in your position, I would do whats the majority of the community wants, and not what bunch of newbies-pro-wannabes want

The moment you put a game into a competitive format you change it from what people are used to. You decide what size a team should be and what class restrictions you have. This changes the game in a much greater way than any unlock ban can.

Competitive tf2 is for those players that look for something more, for the players that want to escape from the randomness public playing is/has become. It becomes about teamwork and coordination. It’s also for this reason that we change some of the variables, like no crits and no damagespread.

As for unlocks, when some are overpowered or not beneficiery in a teamplay environment I feel it is our duty to restrict them. Contacting valve about them isn’t feasible as this route takes months with no guarantees and some unlocks are just inherently broken and can only be fixed by making them into completely different weapons.

You’re claim that we change the game 99% of people love is also somewhat bogus as every few weeks new unlocks get thrown on the community whether we like them or not. A lot of players have gotten tired of having to play a different game every time valve decides to add something. I for one don’t enjoy the vast majority of recent unlocks, the last new set I thoroughly enjoyed was the first engineer update. It is for players like myself that this league was made. For those that want to play with some restrictions, for those that stopped enjoying what public play has become.

It is a pretty well known aspect from game-theory that a game needs fixed rules, valve has clearly violated this rule in its own game. We try to find a balance between allowing most unlocks but keeping the meta-game more or less intact. When an unlock breaks this, I feel it is our duty to ban it.

Last edited by Beef,

trams

-><-

The Enforcer, you shouldt be able to go on a kill streak with medic kritzing a spy, ban.
Machina, no need to ban, that you cant noscope is a big nerf.
Pomson 6000, no idea, never seen it used, seems unbalanced.
Philogistinator, very strange weapon, unbalanced and the damage-causing particles seems bugged, ban.
Spy-cicle, you cant burn him with a pyro? ban.
The Detonator, not really that op compared to shotgun/flaregun, no need to ban.

Jazz

ScS|
(Q)<

Quoted from trams

The Enforcer, you shouldt be able to go on a kill streak with medic kritzing a spy, ban.

Now seriously how often have you seen this?
I’m not gonna lie but most the things people say the enforcer should be banned for sound stupid. If a medic is kritzing the spy im just gonna lol.
And also on that argument you should ban huntsman? because your able to go on a killing spree with a kritzing medic?

ashkan

Would be nice to have your thoughts on the Reserve Shooter as well. It’s buginess in particular :P
Any of that fixed yet? How often does it happen anyway?

@ Jazz – I don`t understand why are you pushing this Enforcer thing so much? You don`t seem as a stupid guy, so why don`t you accept it is overpowered in every possible way? Light classes getting gunned down with two shots is not a small thing. As a Medic player in HL I had problems with that weapon, and so did others, no matter which division we are talking about. Your reply that a Spy has to be in close range is… funny at least, because that class is supposed to be in close range anyway. I can go on about this, but I would just repeat what people said before.

Banning that weapon is not a random decision, just check comments about it on the last 3 pages. People said so many good points about it, yet you keep continuing the discussion for some reason. Give it a rest man…

Last edited by Reservoir Dog,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 10 Next »