Forum

Ladder?

Created 3rd September 2011 @ 13:37

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Monkeh

.:ne:.

So I heard Spike was looking at re-launching the ladder with a few rule tweaks and some really great ideas on how to popularise it. I was wondering if there was any movement on this now he’s gone and left the admin team, (damn selfish of him if you ask me :D ), used to enjoy a few random ladder games to keep the competitive edge going.

Would like to play some ladder games myself, but also the new players and teams formed sice F2P would find it invaluable to get some official match practice.

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

We are currently discussing if the ladder should be reopened but we do not see much point to relaunch it without any improvements. What is your opinion on that?

PS: Blame Spike!

Crasp

(Legend)
BACΩN |
бекон

It’s something we’re discussing at the moment. I’m not sure if Spike managed to make any changes/fixes/improvements before he had to stop working, so it would likely be the same old buggy ladder we had before we took it down. If there’s massive demand for it then we might work something out.

Edit: I got Canfo’d. :/

Monkeh

From my point of view as a team leader the only real problem was the auto kick after 14/28 days, it’s a massive de-motivation to playing matches when you get kicked for not playing for 2 weeks.

If you have league matches in etf2l and/or wireplay and/or ESL then not playing in the ladder for a few weeks is understandable.

The points system, whilst not being perfect, seemed to work ok. The challenges sent/received was fine, although not being able to send a challenge in IE or Chrome was a bit of an annoyance, having to launch firefox so I could send a challenge = :(

Basically if the auto kick was set at 2 or 3 months and you could send challenges in every browser, it would be all gravy. I know you wanted to keep inactive teams off the ladder but going away for a 3 week holiday and returning to find you need to sign up again and then all of that bit being bugged to hell and back was why it collapsed imho.

2-3 month auto kick = teams thinking, ‘Oh, haven’t played a ladder for a 6 weeks, let’s get one sorted…” 3 clicks later and you’re away, instead of…”Where have we gone…we were 10th on the ladder…..got to sign up again…oh it’s bugged…oh fuck it…cba”

Spike Himself

TC

So sorry :(
I hadn’t implemented anything spectacular yet, but I do know that the auto-drop treshold is a setting that any admin can change. It doesn’t fix the bug though, just postpones it.

Skyride

DUCS

If TF2 really needed a ladder, it would get used with or without vast improvements. As it stands, its a reasonable system. Sure it isn’t perfect, but the bottom line is nobody really wants to use it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

It would be awesome to have, but as Skyride said, people didn’t use it before, so unless something has changed in the last 6 months, is it worth the effort.

ilike2spin

RLM

Quoted from CrashSite

unless something has changed in the last 6 months

TF2 has been made F2P in the last six months, pretty huge change which might mean there are lower division teams interested in playing in a ladder.

Spike Himself

TC

Saying the ladder wasn’t being used is a very false statement. It wasn’t used much. Div6 and div5 teams most definitely had some good matches there. It was easier to schedule and play than looking for a game on irc, at any rate (apart from that dropping bug thingy)

Martn

Ideal would be a ladder for each div, wit prizes for the winner of each one, given away after each month.

BoneS

swimp
ciortai

i think the old CSS enemy down ladder worked really well, with a vast range of skill level from top to bottom. I think something like that would be awesome for tf2, for people to use instead of getting mixes.

slate

(ETF2L Donator)
AMG

imho the ladder would have to replace tf.wars -for teams- to be succesful.

so instead of playing pcw’s all night, you’d play ladder matches all night (you don’t need to schedule them) but i guess it would be a tough job to actuallly make that happen.

what about MGE or Ultiduo ladder?

David

I feel that instead of trying to replace tf.wars, the ladder should embrace it. So here is my theory into making a successful ladder.

First off, the ladder only operates when a season is undergoing, every team that signed up for the season will be placed on the ladder. Prem teams starting with more points then a div6 team.

Now a team searches on irc using the words “6v6 server on div4 (ladder)”. once a game has been found and both teams agree that it will go towards the ladder, they play and the usual screenshots are taken.

After the game screenshots are uploaded (maybe even a screenshot of the irc conversation of the agreement to play for ladder points). Team leaders from both teams verify the screenshots to prove they are legit and points are calculated as normal, meaning the team who has the lower points and wins gains an appropriate amount of points depending on the difference.Thus not rewarding the team who plays most but the team who keeps punching above their weight.

I seriously hope this idea does not get shot down instantly, this way is incredibly easy for the user now that P-Rec can automatically save the needed screenshots at the end of each map. However I do realise that this would take a lot of work to create! If there is also a problem about administrating such a large ladder then I will be willing to help with it as much as possible!

rAye.

Vuze.
T.

embrace the naggers, dave. Embrace!

Spike Himself

TC

David: That requires effort by the teams involved. It’d be “play a pcw” versus “play a pcw and upload the screenshots”. There has to be something to be gained.

For lower div teams, having a ladder scoreboard is enough award to keep playing (in my experience – see TC match history).

For higher divs it could, with a few adjustments and without any effort required, be a good alternative to sitting on irc all day long trying to schedule a game for the night.

If it’s not easier than what already exists, or does not provide any benefits, people won’t use it.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »