Forum

About scheduling default dates

Created 10th November 2010 @ 11:17

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 13 Next »

dave

TIDS
TSGHUH

i myself made some bad (as well as some good) experiences with default dates. most times the team gets favored that put some effort into scheduling a match. not always, sometimes default dates are just random.
i had one case where my team tried to schedule several times never getting any reaction from the opponent. we proposed like three dates for the opp to choose from. in the end we got a totally random default date, which didnt match our proposed dates at all – we couldnt play at that date and had to draw a wildcard or sth, cant remember, to long ago. bottom line was: we were penalized for their lack of scheduling efforts.
what i am trying to say: your f****d. better check the etf2l page every hour from now on.
there is no doubt that your default loss is totally undeserved, no reason to argue about that.

there are no official rules how default dates should be handled, though they obviously are required. some examples:
* if one team gets a disadvantage because of a default date it should always be the team which put less effort into scheduling. but only if the disadvantage cant be prevented (in wooo’s case it could have been easily).
* 24h is the minimal time between getting the default date schedule and the match itself.
* if an admin sets a default date to something unusual, he should be able to give a logical reason why (in this case: please explain why you set the default date for a week 1 match to “today”)
* if one team doesnt respond to any scheduling requests the other team should be able to choose on which date they want to play (unless it is less than 24h from now).
… and so on.

btw what racio said

It was placed on that because you never made an effort to schedule. If one team asks for a date but the other team does not react, then the default date will be on the date the first team requested.

isnt always true. it makes me a bit angry to read that with my past experiences. things are different from one match to the other. wtf.

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

I think it should be every teams task to schedule a match – or at least try to. You want to play in the league, so you should care about your matches and organize them by yourself. Why didn’t you care?

Of course, the here mentioned default date sucked. But I wouldn’t even blame the admins for that mistake when they have to arrange 50+ matches a week those things can happen.

If your enemy doesn’t reply / communicate, comment that fact in the match page and the league admin will notice and appreciate it in your favor. Worked everytime I had that issue.

It would be even worse when all dates would be set by a script by default, see it as a opportunity and value it.

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

Quoted from dave

Can’t detect anything in your post that wouldn’t could be solved by a nice “!admin”.

I suggest to punish teams that obviously don’t care about their match-arranging at all.

dave

TIDS
TSGHUH

Quoted from nTraum

[…]
Can’t detect anything in your post that wouldn’t could be solved by a nice “!admin”.
I suggest to punish teams that obviously don’t care about their match-arranging at all.

obviously not. we contacted an admin back then. and tob said he contacted an admin too. without any results. letting the opponent decide if they want an undeserved default win, well, thats no solution at all.
if it always be as simple as writing !admin this thread wouldnt exist.

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

HERPN DERPIN …my team didn’t manage to set up a match date… HERPN DERPN

That’s the reason why these threads exist.

Sorry but I never met any admin from the etf2l-crew who wasn’t willingly to help or who set unfair match dates on purpose. Perhaps I was just lucky.

Nevertheless, I can really agree on your idea of a 24h timelimit for default dates.

Tikcus

The EASY fix for future seasons, is to have a default date for all games

for example the default date for ALL matches is Monday @21:00 cet/cest, starting from 2 weeks after fixtures are announced

i.e.
Fixtures announced monday 1st –
default date for week 1 monday 15th
default date for week 2 monday 22nd
default date for week 3 monday 29th etc

Teams would be free to arrange and play before the default date, but if nothing is arranged teams will have known the default dates before the season had even started

Hunt3r

LAME

so ppls might say that we didnt react to the proposed day, but we did. over steam.
on of the opponents added me (or i added them, i dont remember) and i told them we cant play on that day.
so because we talked over steam, our team didnt write anything on the match page
so basically like many people already said it:
– 6 hours to react to it is really not alot. (24h minimum?)
– schedule deadline was 4 days earlier ( or so)…

dave

TIDS
TSGHUH

Quoted from nTraum

Sorry but I never met any admin from the etf2l-crew who wasn’t willingly to help or who set unfair match dates on purpose. Perhaps I was just lucky.

we already had a discussion with an admin about it.
he said, if the opponent agrees, we can reschedule the match.
the opponent did not agree.

then this thread was created.

just to make things clear: this thread is about a team who got a default date because they didnt schedule their game in time. can happen, thats what default dates are for. but getting a default date just six hours from now is not manageable (i guess this was unintended by the admin). and the solution for that by “!admin” was to leave the choice by the team who got the default win already.
which is no solution, they dont deserve that default win. woo could have easily drawn their wildcard etc if they would have known they had a match that day. there is still more than a month left in which this game could be played. and leaving the decision whether that match still needs to be played by the opposing team is by all means unfair.

Hunt3r

LAME

Quoted from dave

[…]
[…]
then this thread was created.

just to make things clear: this thread is about a team who got a default date because they didnt schedule their game in time. can happen, thats what default dates are for. but getting a default date just six hours from now is not manageable (i guess this was unintended by the admin). and the solution for that by “!admin” was to leave the choice by the team who got the default win already.
which is no solution, they dont deserve that default win. woo could have easily drawn their wildcard etc if they would have known they had a match that day. there is still more than a month left in which this game could be played. and leaving the decision whether that match still needs to be played by the opposing team is by all means unfair.

qft!

Shabbaman

GoT<3
HoT<3

Quoted from Tikcus

The EASY fix for future seasons, is to have a default date for all games

for example the default date for ALL matches is Monday @21:00 cet/cest, starting from 2 weeks after fixtures are announced

i.e.
Fixtures announced monday 1st –
default date for week 1 monday 15th
default date for week 2 monday 22nd
default date for week 3 monday 29th etc

Teams would be free to arrange and play before the default date, but if nothing is arranged teams will have known the default dates before the season had even started

That’s the worst possible solution, as you’d force all teams to play on a particular day. It might be hard to imagine that there are people who can’t play all days of the week. Currently the “default” default date is sunday, and there are teams who are content to sit back and play on a sunday. There are even teams who don’t play on weekdays. It’s wrong to reward this inflexibility.

Having a set date means that teams who are willing to put some effort in scheduling need the cooperation of the other team to get any kind of reward, as oppposed to the current system where you’d at least be rewarded with your proposed date as the default date.

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

to make it clear: I fully agree on you both that the default-date was set to an unsatisfying date in that case, no doubt.

But I still have another opinion how teams should care about their matches. Communicating via steam is an often used and absolutley legit option, but hardly comprehensible for the admin. So at least you should try to leave some notes for him on the match page.

I am absolutely against default dates for every match. This would privilege lazy opponents to care even less – “I do not care when the other team might have time, I want to play on Mondays (which is the default date per default), so I won’t do anything.”

edit: +1 for Shabbaman, put it in a nutshell, thanks.

InFlam0r

How about just punish a team which makes no effort to shedule a game before shedule deadline?

-1 point end of story

Reload

BiG
BiG

Quoted from Hunt3r

so ppls might say that we didnt react to the proposed day, but we did. over steam.
on of the opponents added me (or i added them, i dont remember) and i told them we cant play on that day.
so because we talked over steam, our team didnt write anything on the match page

Simple solution: Post scheduling conversations on the match page

freshmeatt

‹Con›

I’m not even reading this, sorry, appears that it’s full of off-topic stuff again;
Simple solution can be found for OP’s problem – fix that default date scheduling script with a single instruction adding 24h to earliest date possible.

dave

TIDS
TSGHUH

Quoted from freshmeatt

fix that default date scheduling script

there is no such thing. also this would only fix upcoming issues related to this.

to fix the op’s problem, the default loss has to be removed and a reasonable default date should be assigned. everything else: imba and very unprofessional.

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 13 Next »