Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from d1ck j0nes

[…]
tarball i’ve heard. rarball? nope.

Well that confirms it then.

Quoted from d1ck j0nes

your troll bs.

Pots, kettles, and the colour black. Or something along those lines. hmmm…

Yes, you made a suggestion. One that didn’t make sense at all. The ‘fight’ you refer to is only you failing to understand what Chris is trying to tell you.

(inb4 “black isnt technically a colour”)

octochris

(0v0)

I don’t mind people not understanding computing concepts. What I mind is when people purport to understand them and then demonstrate that they don’t.

Spike Himself

TC

How do I install the internet, Chris? :<

for science

Quoted from octochris

I don’t mind people not understanding computing concepts. What I mind is when people purport to understand them and then demonstrate that they don’t.

The general rule for anyone that actually does know what they’re talking about in any field?

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

OT:
Dear Chris,
I really appreciate your technological knowledge which a lot of people just don’t have and so – may suggest weird solutions. But what is the need for insult practically all people (in an indirect or direct way) who aren’t as widely read as you are?
They do not want to take down the ETF2L-Site and do not want to prove anything, they just suggested or commentaded on a topic they are interested in.

To cut to the chase, don’t be cocky, but friendly. I honour that you share your expertise with us, but please keep in mind that some of us also have an opinion to topics they didn’t study in former years.

You can even help us by explaining things instead of denying them without any reason, of course noone can force you to do so.

Best regards.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from nTraum

OT:
Dear Chris,
I really appreciate your technological knowledge which a lot of people just don’t have and so – may suggest weird solutions. But what is the need for insult practically all people (in an indirect or direct way) who aren’t as widely read as you are?
They do not want to take down the ETF2L-Site and do not want to prove anything, they just suggested or commentaded on a topic they are interested in.

To cut to the chase, don’t be cocky, but friendly. I honour that you share your expertise with us, but please keep in mind that some of us also have an opinion to topics they didn’t study in former years.

You can even help us by explaining things instead of denying them without any reason, of course noone can force you to do so.

Best regards.

Quoted from octochris

for science

I think, maybe, he was saying it doesn’t seem that way from how you respond to people :)

(clarifying his point, not my own before someone misunderstands me)

octochris

(0v0)

People have asked me before why I help some and scald others.

I’ll help you if you ask a question. I’ll scald you if you purport to know something when you don’t, or offer advice when it is obvious that you are not knowledgeable enough to give it.

for science

Quoted from octochris

it is obvious that you are not knowledgeable enough to give it.

Dunning-Kruger?

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from for science

[…]
Dunning-Kruger?

perhaps. it’s more that people don’t realize the amount they don’t know about a subject before they open their mouths.

for science

Interesting choice of words :) [this now looks like it makes no sense after your edit…. ]
Don’t see how that affects peoples’ willingness to offer advice on a topic which they lack the necessary expertise in to provide good advice. Unless you’re arguing the `fewer` things that could explain this is that people are simply stupid (where D-K would simply be an explanation of the why, so OR doesn’t really apply).

Off topic but meh.

In response to your edit to remove LP(OR): I wasn’t saying D-K was a perfect fit, simply that it is a very common phenomenon to see people arguing from a position of ignorance (of which, they may not be aware).

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from for science

Interesting choice of words :) [this now looks like it makes no sense after your edit…. ]

i misread your post, LP doesn’t fit with it after another read.

Quoted from for science

Don’t see how that affects peoples’ willingness to offer advice on a topic which they lack the necessary expertise in to provide good advice.

Oh, I think it’s more that D-K is overarching whereas this is a very specific thing. A lot of people who use computers regularly think they are top-class computing material. I know plenty of students I’ve taught who have initially thought they are the best of the best because they spend all day playing Halo on their consoles.

Dr-GimpfeN

9g1c

would be awesome fun to see chris working at a user helpdesk in a big company :D

for science

Really off-topic, but why call it LP instead of OR? Or just parsimony.

EDIT WARS: I agree D-K is too far reaching, it was more a comment on the general rule statement I made before.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from for science

Really off-topic, but why call it LP instead of OR? Or just parsimony.

personal preference? no reason really.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 Next »