Forum

Optimizing rates

Created 27th October 2013 @ 13:05

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

scatmo

27/2

Hello guys, I would like to know if there’s a way to optimize my rates settings. I have a 100MB optical fiber network.

My rate settings are these:

cl_cmdrate 66
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_lagcompensation 1
cl_pred_optimize 2
cl_smooth 0
cl_smoothtime 0.01
cl_updaterate 66
rate 60000

Thanks in advance for your attention :)

Last edited by scatmo,

MARIANO

You don’t need to change anything, you have correct rates.

scatmo

27/2

Thanks Mariano, I appreciate your answer :)

eS

You could play around with your interp a bit, depends if you use projectile or hitscan classes more.

scatmo

27/2

I’ve changed cl_interp to 0.03 and cl_interp_ratio to 2. I’ll see if these are good changes.

Here’s a complete explanation for entity interpolation in case you’re the curious type

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking

cl_interp literally pointless, because cl_interp_ratio already does it’s job more safely and efficiently. Your current cl_interp 0.03 doesn’t do anything, because your interp_ratio/updaterate already sets it to 2/66 which is bigger than 0.03 and already “optimal”.
I’ve heard vague rumors about setting cl_interp “0” causing it to default back to “0.1”, but I can’t confirm that. For safety, I would set it to something tiny but finite (anything smaller than 1/66 shouldn’t do anything).

Last edited by Schmuse,

scatmo

27/2

Indeed cl_interp 0.03 was bad, changed to my default one, but couldn’t change cl_interp_ratio to 2 and I think that this is impossible to do because it does not allow me to change the value.

Last edited by scatmo,

AnAkkk

Quoted from Schmuse

Here’s a complete explanation for entity interpolation in case you’re the curious type

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking

cl_interp literally pointless, because cl_interp_ratio already does it’s job more safely and efficiently. Your current cl_interp 0.03 doesn’t do anything, because your interp_ratio/updaterate already sets it to 2/66 which is bigger than 0.03 and already “optimal”.
I’ve heard vague rumors about setting cl_interp “0” causing it to default back to “0.1”, but I can’t confirm that. For safety, I would set it to something tiny but finite (anything smaller than 1/66 shouldn’t do anything).

People just “abuse” cl_interp 0 because the game sees that it’s a bad value as it’s lower than cl_interp_ratio/cl_updaterate, so it resets it to cl_interp_ratio/cl_updaterate.

Quoted from AnAkkk

People just “abuse” cl_interp 0 because the game sees that it’s a bad value as it’s lower than cl_interp_ratio/cl_updaterate, so it resets it to cl_interp_ratio/cl_updaterate.

What’s there to abuse? I quote from source developers:

This is the relation between snapshot rate and view interpolation delay is the following:

interpolation period = max( cl_interp, cl_interp_ratio / cl_updaterate )

“Max(x,y)” means “whichever of these is higher”. You can set cl_interp to 0 and still have a safe amount of interp. You can then increase cl_updaterate to decrease your interp period further, but don’t exceed tickrate (66) or flood your connection with more data than it can handle.

kindred

myx
SDCK!

Quoted from fanny_filth

[…]

This is the relation between snapshot rate and view interpolation delay is the following:

“Max(x,y)” means “whichever of these is higher”. You can set cl_interp to 0 and still have a safe amount of interp. You can then increase cl_updaterate to decrease your interp period further, but don’t exceed tickrate (66) or flood your connection with more data than it can handle.

I think he might have meant “abuse” in a different way.

Meaning that people use cl_interp 0 as a quick shortcut to set their interp to the correct value.

AnAkkk

Quoted from fanny_filth

[…]

What the wiki doesn’t say is that the game will always get the interpolation from the cl_interp cvar.
cl_interp_ratio just acts as a limiter for the cl_interp cvar, the cl_interp value will change automatically based on cl_interp_ratio (if too low).

Quoted from kindred

[…]

I think he might have meant “abuse” in a different way.

Meaning that people use cl_interp 0 as a quick shortcut to set their interp to the correct value.

That, too.

Last edited by AnAkkk,

Phnx

let’s say I want lowest delay with projectiles, and best connection settings for bad net (for hitscan), (not together, 2 different settings).

AnimaL

you can’t change rates while alive

Phnx

Quoted from AnimaL

you can’t change rates while alive

I know, but I can if I go to spectate. and I will have to executable cfg’s for it.

NuTRiCuLa

D925
AVN

i have totally low internet speed (50-100 kl/s)

can somebody say interps ?

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »