Forum

TF2 configs need a new maintainer

Created 10th April 2013 @ 11:41

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 Next »

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Popcorp

having VERY high quality is not good for your GPU, the higher the quality the higher pressure on GPU, if you get like constant 300+ fps, i recommend to cap your FPS to 132, to minimize pressure on GPU

Sure, less fps is less work for your GPU, but why is it a bad thing to have your GPU have a lot of work? That’s what you paid for..

You’re not going to buy a racing car to only ever drive 40 km/h with, only because “it’s less stress for the engine”, are you?

Popcorp

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

Sure, less fps is less work for your GPU, but why is it a bad thing to have your GPU have a lot of work? That’s what you paid for..

You’re not going to buy a racing car to only ever drive 40 km/h with, only because “it’s less stress for the engine”, are you?

No its just your GPU dies faster and there is no difference between 132 constant fps and 700, in smoothness, no difference, but GPU does less work with 132 capped fps than 132++++

Ofc its personal preference, but im just warning you

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Popcorp

your GPU dies faster

Yeah, instead of 10 years it will last 9 years and 3 months.

So to anyone who thinks they will still have the same graphics card 9 years from now, listen to this guy!

T0m

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from Popcorp

[…]

No its just your GPU dies faster and there is no difference between 132 constant fps and 700, in smoothness, no difference, but GPU does less work with 132 capped fps than 132++++

Ofc its personal preference, but im just warning you

Ha, ok.

Popcorp

[…]

Yeah, instead of 10 years it will last 9 years and 3 months.

So to anyone who thinks they will still have the same graphics card 9 years from now, listen to this guy!

hey im just giving an info to people, you dont have to be an ass about it

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Popcorp

[…]

hey im just giving an info to people, you dont have to be an ass about it

I’m not being an ass, I’m just pointing out that your “info” is unfounded and rather pointless.

If you have high fps and you need to limit it, it would be to improve stability (in some cases). Not because it may take 2 months of the expected lifetime of your hardware (which only applies if you keep it running 24/7, btw – 4 hours of tf2 every day at max fps is going to do exactly nothing to your GPU – it’s what its made to do).

Last edited by Spike Himself,

Popcorp

[…]

I’m not being an ass, I’m just pointing out that your “info” is unfounded and rather pointless.

that’s your opinion, if you think what i said its pointless for you, doesn’t mean its pointless for the others, others might find this info actually useful…im not gonna continue arguing

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Popcorp

[…]

that’s your opinion, if you think what i said its pointless for you, doesn’t mean its pointless for the others, others might find this info actually useful…im not gonna continue arguing

No, it’s not my opinion. You are telling people things that aren’t true. It IS pointless to others!

quad

[…]

No, it’s not my opinion. You are telling people things that aren’t true. It IS pointless to others!

ehmm, here is why his words are partially true.

Having a high or no limit fps cap produces more heat, increase power consumption, increase noise.
Too much heat can cause stuttery and less smooth render in fast motion.

Having a nvidia card on stock fan settings, while not cleaning it very regular, will cause temperetures of 80-95 degrees. It is therefore needed to install a software to increase the fanspeed(like msi afterburner) to bring the temperature under at least 80, or bsod and gfx artifacts will occur while frying the card really solid.

Most newer cards will withstand this for quite some time, but having higher temps will denfinetly cause a sooner hardware failure.

In terms of smoothness, a high fpsmax gives a more responsive gamefeel, but can cause annoying trailing/tearing depending on the display.

I myself prefer a 100% stable fpsmax instead of a high unstable.

Last edited by quad,

Python

Quoted from quad

[…]
ehmm, here is why his words are partially true.

Having a high or no limit fps cap produces more heat, increase power consumption, increase noise.
Too much heat can cause stuttery and less smooth render in fast motion.

Having a nvidia card on stock fan settings, while not cleaning it very regular, will cause temperetures of 80-95 degrees. It is therefore needed to install a software to increase the fanspeed(like msi afterburner) to bring the temperature under at least 80, or bsod and gfx artifacts will occur while frying the card really solid.

Most newer cards will withstand this for quite some time, but having higher temps will denfinetly cause a sooner hardware failure.

In terms of smoothness, a high fpsmax gives a more responsive gamefeel, but can cause annoying trailing/tearing depending on the display.

I myself prefer a 100% stable fpsmax instead of a high unstable.

spike_down

Last edited by Python,

rofl, sounds like some people have graphics cards that need sending back, and/or better drivers or a dam good clean :D and are trying to bury there heads in the sand about it.. fighting the symptoms of issues and not the causes :D

when all said and done its a lot easier on the eyes having a capped stable fps :D

Last edited by sick-lizard,

quad

Quoted from sick-lizard

rofl, sounds like some people have graphics cards that need sending back, and/or better drivers or a dam good clean :D and are trying to bury there heads in the sand about it.. fighting the symptoms of issues and not the causes :D

when all said and done its a lot easier on the eyes having a capped stable fps :D

Nvidia stock fan settings first accelerate when a temperature of 80 is passed.
If the fancover is not removed and heatspreader cleaned entierly every 2 months(depending on cabinet features, and room environment)
Temperatures will easily be between 80-95celsius.(High risk of artifacts and bsod)

Usually when any component in the pc reaches 100 celsius(motherboard dependant) it auto shutsdown to protect itself.

My 470gtx still works after 3 years of service, problems only occured when Afterburner was not used. (Stock speed is 30-40%, Afterburner keeps it at 70degrees under load at 60-75%)

Last edited by quad,

Spike Himself

TC

Keeping your PC clean is part of owning a PC. You do not under normal circumstances (which include keeping your PC clean) need to lower fps or manually increase fan speeds.

Yes, your GPU does get warm. It was made to withstand that. If your pc is full of dust, well, that’s your fault for not maintaining it properly.

Don’t let your PC sit next to your dog and you won’t need to clean it more than once per 3 years.

Quoted from Python

[…]

spike_down

Wrong bandwagon!

Last edited by Spike Himself,

Houdini

Quoted from quad

[…]I myself prefer a 100% stable fpsmax instead of a high unstable.

This is why there is a “highquality” and a “maxquality” config. After all, you’re not forced to use it..

Quoted from Popcorp

[…]hey im just giving an info to people, you dont have to be an ass about it

If Spike is an ass, you’r one too. You said that serid’s work is useless.

ninya

Team

r_pixelfog 0

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 Next »