Forum

OpenPlugin by Casual

Created 14th September 2012 @ 10:48

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 53 54 55 ... 61 Next »

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Has anyone been banned for something that wasn’t obviously a cheat? Has anyone used this method for anything but cheating?

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from doks

yeah fov 90 makes me hate the game. i know i played with it before the plugin.. but that doesnt mean i want to go back now…
if you would win in a lottery have the year of your life spending it all on crazy shit… you wouldnt want to go back to your day job now would you ?

Except to make this work, you’d have to say “robbed a bank” instead of “winning the lottery”, because that’s more appropriate.

What you should’ve done is not rob the bank.

Practically, you used a cheat and are now complaining that the game is harder without it. Well duh.

Plenty of people have posted about how dodgy it was and that it was not a good idea to use this and that Valve would eventually do something about it. Yet you chose to use it anyway. You have nobody to blame but yourself for this.

Last edited by Spike Himself,

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

We don’t know that Valve have a problem with anything except bypassing the -insecure check and actual cheating.

If someone knows an example of a non-cheat being loaded with a modified dll, that Valve knew about and didn’t ban for, then I would use and recommend a new version of OpenPlugin that worked that way.

Alternatively, if it would have been possible for Valve to recognise OpenPlugin and ban for it, and instead they patched the -insecure bypass, it lends weight to them not considering increased FOV a cheat. But I don’t know if that is so.

AnAkkk

Quoted from Kemor

So basically this thing gives me bigger possibility of getting banned than OP?

No, it doesn’t make any difference. It just depends on whether Valve wants to ban it or not.

slate

(ETF2L Donator)
AMG

Quoted from fraac

We don’t know that Valve have a problem with anything except bypassing the -insecure check and actual cheating.

If someone knows an example of a non-cheat being loaded with a modified dll, that Valve knew about and didn’t ban for, then I would use and recommend a new version of OpenPlugin that worked that way.

Alternatively, if it would have been possible for Valve to recognise OpenPlugin and ban for it, and instead they patched the -insecure bypass, it lends weight to them not considering increased FOV a cheat. But I don’t know if that is so.

imho, they specifically mentioned -insecure bypass, because that thing is supposed to protect players from *accidently* loading cheats as in someone could distribute a dll file and claim it does nothing but record demos, but actually is bypasses sv_pure without you noticing. Also I am sure that *a lot* of people thought it was ok because it’s labled “Plugin” and goes into the addons folder.

does valve consider higher FOV and Picmip cheating?

That would be big fat YES from me, because otherwise those cvars wouldn’t have a “CHEAT FLAG” beyond certain ranges.

no matter how you load these Mods, just bear in mind that you are bypassing sv_cheats and ask yourself if that is ok to do.

Last edited by slate,

Aladin

Frajer
cs

Quoted from slate

[…]
That would be big fat YES from me, because otherwise those cvars wouldn’t have a “CHEAT FLAG” beyond certain ranges.

But your big fat yes still doesn’t mean anything, unless Valve does something to state this.

slate

(ETF2L Donator)
AMG

Quoted from Aladin

[…]
But your big fat yes still doesn’t mean anything, unless Valve does something to state this.

obviously this is just my opinion/interpretation, but flagging cvars as cheat is pretty straight forward to me.

When I’m caught speeding I can’t exactly say “Yea I saw the speedlimit sign, but the government never specifically stated that they are actually enfocing this, what an outrage”

don’t get me wrong, I’d absolutely LOVE higher FOV and Picmip but breaking Valve’s rules for this is not the way to go imho.

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from Spike Himself

Practically, you used a cheat and are now complaining that the game is harder without it. Well duh.

This is what’s wrong with your train of thought. The game is not harder, it’s less of an enjoyable experience.

Quoted from slate

obviously this is just my opinion/interpretation, but flagging cvars as cheat is pretty straight forward to me.

Obviously that’s how they interpret it as well. Point is, we requested they revised their decisions regarding the cvars in question and we’ve got no clear answer to this day. That’s why this entire drama popped up in the first place – we want this fundamental (for us) feature to be implemented in the game and they are just like ‘…’. Especially now after the second time they tried to make it their way without any official explanation or reasoning. Sure, cheats, blah blah – but we expect answers to questions that were sparked by our requests, the side-effects (kids ‘accidentally’ cheating) are irrelevant (remember that if the ways Casual exploited were not pushed to the broader public like it has been done with OpenPlugin, the actual cheaters would still abuse this method, probably without any kind of action taken from Valve for a much longer time).

Last edited by freshmeatt,

Mirelin

alus

http://www.pictureshack.us/view_46472_Admins_discussing_about_fov_desired.jpg

Crafz

Quoted from slate

but breaking Valve’s rules for this is not the way to go imho.

Uhu. Well, what is the way to go then? Are you saying we should make a petition and try to contact Valve?

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Quoted from Mirelin

http://www.pictureshack.us/view_46472_Admins_discussing_about_fov_desired.jpg

haha

Kemor

Mirelin i love you

sidestep

(ETF2L Donator)
bobs