Forum

OpenPlugin by Casual

Created 14th September 2012 @ 10:48

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 27 28 29 ... 61 Next »

unu

Arctic, stop argueing with that idiot. It’s not worth it.

quintosh

wL.

Quoted from maukkaaa

[…]

your basically saying im cheating for using something everyone can use

everyone can use osh too

maukkaaa

all im saying it’s stupid to complain about something that is allowed and can be used by everyone at your own risk

quintosh

wL.

Quoted from maukkaaa

all im saying it’s stupid to complain about something that is allowed and can be used by everyone at your own risk

thats why he’s asking for a ban on the plugin’s usage in highlander

Daleth

ti.
[PG]

Quoted from Arcticcu

If an admin reads this, I propose that this plugin is at the very least forbidden in Highlander. I don’t think I even need to explain how having +40 fov makes it harder to get kills for a certain class (SPOILER ALERT: IT’S >>>>>SPY<<<<<<), and as this is obviously something valve didn't intend, I don't think it should be allowed.

I’m going to set my resolution to something retarded. Oh, same result. What now, genius?

Arcticcu

Quoted from Daleth

[…]

I’m going to set my resolution to something retarded. Oh, same result. What now, genius?

I’m not so sure you can get 130 Fov with resolution switching without fucking up everything. At least you didn’t use a third party program to do it. Anyone can switch around resolutions without any risk, however this plugin is something third party, which is why I think it should be banned in an environment where FOV plays a crucial part for one class. If you’re going to cheat your way to higher fov, at least don’t make it easy.

What now? Well, now we ban condescending idiots like you from the league and we’re all set.

Last edited by Arcticcu,

Arcticcu

double, soz

Last edited by Arcticcu,

Setsul

Quoted from Daleth

[…]

A aspect ratio greater than 1.85:1 only increases your horizontal fov, OpenPlugin increases the vertical fov aswell.
sv_restrict_aspect_ratio_fov 1 (1 is the DEFAULT VALUE) limits the fov you gain with custom resolutions.
However it is set to 0 in the etf2l config and that means etf2l is not only tolerating, but actively allowing fov > 90.

->Higher fov is ALLOWED in etf2l

Arcticcu

Quoted from Setsul

[…]
A aspect ratio greater than 1.85:1 only increases your horizontal fov, OpenPlugin increases the vertical fov aswell.

Fucking around with resolutions to get horizontal fov is allowed. Using a third party program to get vertical+horizontal fov is not – or at least definitely shouldn’t be, as valve’s rules don’t allow this. But now that you’ve mentioned this, wouldn’t insane aspect ratios like this make your game look extremely retarded either way?

Anyway, just asking for a highlander ban for reasons previously explained. Very few people actually seem to be using resolution changing to gain fov, but increasing amount of people are using OpenPlugin for it.

your basically saying im cheating for using something everyone can use

Is your logic seriously this flawed?

Last edited by Arcticcu,

Casual

prtyboiz
T⑨

You’re pretty much contradicting yourself here. Vertical fov means nothing, horizontal fov is what people want (and can get easily with custom resolutions). You’ll notice that quite a bit of the features can easily be achieved with legitimately messing around with settings.
THAT’s THE WHOLE POINT!

I want to level the playing field so people who know about arcane configurations don’t get the upper edge by giving everyone easy access to it. Custom resolutions = higher fov, negative lod bias = mat_picmip 5. We are PC gamers, we mess around with this kind of shit. This plugin ‘levels the playing field’ by giving everyone easy access.

Your ONLY argument is that this is an external DLL (and this alone somehow equates to cheating). As shown by the lack of VAC bans and my willingness to help you out to disable its usage on your (pub) server, it’s not the end of the world. I believe ETF2L is correct to allow it unless Valve says otherwise.

Last edited by Casual,

Setsul

Quoted from Arcticcu

[…]

Fucking around with resolutions to get horizontal fov is allowed. Using a third party program to get vertical+horizontal fov is not – or at least definitely shouldn’t be, as valve’s rules don’t allow this.

etf2l can´t ban just one way of getting higher fov, they´d have to ban every method.

Sadly it is irrelevant wether or not valve allows this. It´s only about what etf2l allows and what not. Valve can´t ban you in etf2l, they can ban you from playing tf2 at all and as long as they don´t it´s up to etf2l if you´re allowed to play in etf2l.

You should request a rulechange to ban higher fov (this is not the right thread for this) and not discuss with casual, what are you even trying to achieve here?

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from Setsul

[…]
sv_restrict_aspect_ratio_fov 1 (1 is the DEFAULT VALUE) limits the fov you gain with custom resolutions.
However it is set to 0 in the etf2l config and that means etf2l is not only tolerating, but actively allowing fov > 90.

I think the reasoning behind this is more that ETF2L doesn’t want to deny eyefinity users of using their pricey equipment -> therefore sv_restrict_arf is nót 2. But if you allow eyefinity users to have high h.fov then why would you limit other users in doing the exact same thing? Hence sv_restrict_arf is not 1 either.

Besides, putting sv_restrict_arf on either 1 or 2 still gives 16:9 users advantage over 16:10 users, and gives both widescreen type users an advantage over 4:3 users, so the cvar is quite pointless anyway.

Casual, you are simply flat out wrong on the vertical fov part. If anything, TF2 is probably the most prevalent shooter out there at this moment where vertical fov actually is actually quite important, due to the vertical gameplay that occurs from movement (jomps) and map design with substantial height differences.

I think the only right way to “level” the playing field would be to introduce these features on the server side, so that we are ensured every client has the same rights as the other. It shouldn’t be necessary for players to feel forced to “join the club” of using plugins that Valve maybe doesn’t outright ban, but also doesn’t condone either.

Anyway, if ETF2L isn’t ballsy enough to force match servers to run something like Tftrue to give every player equal advantages, then ETF2L should at least come out and be clear about what is allowed and what not. “We won’t ban you but if running the plugin ends up badly for you (VAC ban or whatever might happen) then that’s tough luck for you” is not the right solution imo.

Speaking of tftrue, is it installed on the rocketblast servers yet? Haven’t seen s3 here ever since I made the suggestion…

Last edited by skeej,

Setsul

Quoted from skeej

[…]

I think the reasoning behind this is more that ETF2L doesn’t want to deny eyefinity users of using their pricey equipment -> therefore sv_restrict_arf is nót 2. But if you allow eyefinity users to have high h.fov then why would you limit other users in doing the exact same thing? Hence sv_restrict_arf is not 1 either.

Besides, putting sv_restrict_arf on either 1 or 2 still gives 16:9 users advantage over 16:10 users, and gives both widescreen type users an advantage over 4:3 users, so the cvar is quite pointless anyway.

So you´re telling me etf2l can´t use sv_restrict_arf because of eyefinity users?
And setting it to 0 doesn´t remove the advantages of widescreen/eyefinity users either.
It´s more likely that they don´t want to ban higher fov.

tftrue + etf2l match mode + automatic log upload, YES PLEASE! (yes, i know that this would take a ****load of coding)

A clear statement about higher fov (only horizontal and both h. and vertical) from etf2l would be cool.

Arcticcu

Speaking of tftrue, is it installed on the rocketblast servers yet? Haven’t seen s3 here ever since I made the suggestion…

Not entirely certain why it would be. S3 said that that rb wants to provide a vanilla experience without any needless gameplay altering stuff like a chance for higher fov, even if this is equal for everyone.

rest of your post is pretty much what I mean, even though I’d still like a ban on it in highlander even if TFTrue was installed on all ETF2L match servers. Will make a suggestion later to the proper forum

also, what would some a weird aspect ratio that gave you lets say 110 fov look like? And is how big Fov difference would you even get with aspect ratio changing anyway, I’ve heard it’s pretty limited and looks silly.

Last edited by Arcticcu,

Casual

prtyboiz
T⑨

Quoted from Arcticcu

[…]

Not entirely certain why it would be. S3 said that that rb wants to provide a vanilla experience without any needless gameplay altering stuff like a chance for higher fov, even if this is equal for everyone.

No, what they want is being able to whitelist plugins as they wish. They don’t mind P-REC, they don’t want OpenPlugin. They just slapped something they call logic on it, but this is what it comes down to.

Which is perfectly fine, it’s their server after all.

Quoted from skeej

[…]

Casual, you are simply flat out wrong on the vertical fov part. If anything, TF2 is probably the most prevalent shooter out there at this moment where vertical fov actually is actually quite important, due to the vertical gameplay that occurs from movement (jomps) and map design with substantial height differences.

Uhm, so what you’re saying is 5:4 is the superior aspect ratio? Wide screen aspect ratios trade off vertical fov for horizontal fov.

Last edited by Casual,

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 27 28 29 ... 61 Next »