Forum

OpenPlugin by Casual

Created 14th September 2012 @ 10:48

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 20 21 22 ... 61 Next »

s3

Quoted from Casual

… they’ll use SMAC to autokick people for having fov_desired outside the normal valid range (no bans or manual checking required) and I won’t hide the plugin’s activities.
http://pastebin.com/MwKMZGhS

I’m glad this was solved in a way that allows us (Rocket Blast) to filter out FOV cheaters without forcing the author to (more or less) turn the plugin into a full blown cheat. Make no mistake, anyone with FOV above 90 will never be able to play on our servers until Valve says it’s okay, but there will also be no more bans at this time. Many thanks to Casual for agreeing to a solution that allows us to maintain the vanilla gameplay that we’ve been known for during most the the TF2 life cycle.

Quoted from AnimaL

ppl are fucking stupid, what kind of unfair advantage the fuck you are talking about when this plugin is allowed?!?!??!? you think its advantage? you use it! stop making this shit look like hax when its allowed for everyone to use by their own discretion…

There are two different views of the situation at hand, and they are as follow:

ETF2L: They have, for some reason, decided to allow people to use a third party plugin to extend their field of view. From ETF2L’s side (emb, come on dude) this plugin is apparently fine and dandy. I disagree, obviously, but I’m just a random shitter.

Valve: They haven’t even gotten close to allowing (in other words, signing) this plugin. Even using it once “just as a test”, there’s a chance you’ll never be able to play a Source game again. In other words, you might get VAC banned.

So, while this plugin is tolerated by ETF2L, it’s by no means something that Valve wants to spread amongst the player base.
Do you expect everyone you play against to risk their Steam accounts just to be able to compete on a level playing field? Make no mistake, that is what you’re saying.
Having a higher FOV is an advantage, and since getting that advantage requires you to risk your Steam account, it can never be an equal playing field. Maybe you and your teammates don’t care about VAC bans, but your opponents might. And that is entirely within their rights, and that’s why a lot of people object to the use of this plugin within ETF2L.

And for good measure: I normally play with 100 or 110 FOV in FPS games… where such values are allowed.

Last edited by s3,

AnAkkk

Valve do not ever reply to mails about signing plugins, even fully legit ones (there was an IRC client integration and a few other ones that were useful).

They aren’t going to ban anyone using the plugin as they don’t want to ban competitive players. If they’d have wanted to people would already be banned since 1 year.

Kvux

/./
LEGO

Quoted from AnAkkk

Valve do not ever reply to mails about signing plugins, even fully legit ones (there was an IRC client integration and a few other ones that were useful).

They aren’t going to ban anyone using the plugin as they don’t want to ban competitive players. If they’d have wanted to people would already be banned since 1 year.

Sucks they don’t want to sign it, or even reply :/
But yeah, I feel the same way. If they really wanted to ban us for using it, they would’ve done it a long time ago. I hope that is actually the way it is, as I dont want to get vacced for using a plugin to get transparent viewmodels..

Cuttlefish

6v6

Quoted from s3

[…]
Valve: They haven’t even gotten close to allowing (in other words, signing) this plugin. Even using it once “just as a test”, there’s a chance you’ll never be able to play a Source game again. In other words, you might get VAC banned.
Do you expect everyone you play against to risk their Steam accounts just to be able to compete on a level playing field?

How many people, if any, have been VAC’d because of Casual’s plugin?

Kissakala

MUUQ
bad

Quoted from Cuttlefish

[…]

How many people, if any, have been VAC’d because of Casual’s plugin?

Answer: Read what s3 said again.

SabaSaba

[hePPa]

s3 said there is a risk of getting banned. He did not say this has happened or it will happen in the future.

Cuttlefish

6v6

Quoted from SabaSaba

s3 said there is a risk of getting banned. He did not say this has happened or it will happen in the future.

If it hasn’t happened so far, isn’t it safe to assume that the risk is as low as reasonably possible? Sure, there’s risks for everything – but I feel he’s exaggerating them a little.

Casual

prtyboiz
T⑨

Quoted from Kissakala

[…]

Answer: Read what s3 said again.

I’m sorry but now you’re pulling shit out of your ass:
1. s3 is not an authority when it comes to what is and isn’t VAC detected. Valve will never say what is and isn’t VAC detected.
2. I’ll have you know that so far nobody has been VAC banned (that I know of) because of the plugin (or any other similar plugins).

Kissakala

MUUQ
bad

Quoted from Casual

[…]

I’m sorry but now you’re pulling shit out of your ass:
1. s3 is not an authority when it comes to what is and isn’t VAC detected. Valve will never say what is and isn’t VAC detected.
2. I’ll have you know that so far nobody has been VAC banned (that I know of) because of the plugin (or any other similar plugins).

Due all respect, there is no need to get hostile as I was just implying that s3 didn’t say anything regarding the amount of people who have gotten banned (which is indeed most probably around 0).
I just found the question from Cuttlefish somewhat silly as it didn’t have anything to do with s3’s statements.

Last edited by Kissakala,

Cuttlefish

6v6

Quoted from Kissakala

[…]

With due all respect, there is no need to get hostile as I was just implying that s3 didn’t say anything regarding the amount of people who have gotten banned (which is indeed most probably around 0).
I just found the question from Cuttlefish somewhat silly as it didn’t have anything to do with s3’s statements.

See my post above.

Kissakala

MUUQ
bad

Quoted from Cuttlefish

[…]

See my post above.

Yes, I didn’t refer to that exact post in any sort of way.
It was the previous post we were discussing about, therefore the latter post doesn’t have anything to do with anything, even though what you’re stating is probably correct.

Last edited by Kissakala,

Cuttlefish

6v6

Quoted from Kissakala

[…]

Yes, I did, and it wasn’t there by the time I had responded to you the first time. :)

No, no, I know that. But that was what I was trying to say – my first post was pretty badly worded though. :p

Kissakala

MUUQ
bad

Well, yeah, anyways.
I hope Valve gets its shit sorted out and actually does something about this plugin.
Hopefully it gets allowed so everyone’s able to use it without having the idea of the POSSIBLE slight risk of getting VAC’d.

Cuttlefish

6v6

Quoted from Kissakala

Well, yeah, anyways.
I hope Valve gets its shit sorted out and actually does something about this plugin.

That’s about as likely as someone getting VAC’d because of it. They don’t particularly like it, from what I’ve seen – on the Steam forums, they discouraged people from using it and told people who had it installed to uninstall it immediately. So if they do something about it, I don’t think it’ll be authenticating it!

Regen

nf.
9F

gl banning your entire competetive community :>>

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 20 21 22 ... 61 Next »