FOV Restricted

Created 12th January 2012 @ 01:52

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Dr-GimpfeN

9g1c

“sv_restrict_aspect_ratio_fov” = “1” min. 0.000000 max. 2.000000
replicated
– This can be used to limit the effective FOV of users using wide-screen
resolutions with aspect ratios wider than 1.85:1 (slightly wider than 16:9).
0 = do not cap effective FOV
1 = limit the effective FOV on windowed mode users using resolutions
greater than 1.85:1
2 = limit the effective FOV on both windowed mode and full-screen users

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

sv_restrict_aspect_ratio_fov 0 for ETF2L plz

People have been using it since the dawn of ages, the fov_desired limit 75-90 makes sure that you cant really quickswitch to ultra fov ingame for wallhack. Should be no problem. There are people with fov advantage anyway because of monitor aspect ratios. That should be sufficient argumentation.

Quoted from Admirable

Use 2 and play the game the way Robin Walker intended!

Im just gonna take the bait and say: lets allow all unlocks and play 12v12 then.

Last edited by skeej,

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Quoted from Crasp

[…]

From what I’ve heard so far from admin discussions it looks like it will be 0.

sv_restrict_aspect_ratio_fov restricts players using non-standard resolutions to increase their fov (e.g. “-w 1280 -h 800” in launch options) and that sort of thing*. Yes you can see through walls if you ridiculise it but try actually playing at 1920×200. The FOV plugin itself has been negated elsewhere so should no longer work.

*correct me if I’m wrong.

Ok so you’re not going to use this cvar because:
a) it would damage people using eyefinity legitimately just to get a wide fov and not wallhack and…
b) because the plugin doesn’t work any more.

Just so I’m clear, is that right?

Crasp

(Legend)
BACΩN |
бекон

Quoted from Sideshow

[…]

Ok so you’re not going to use this cvar because:
a) it would damage people using eyefinity legitimately just to get a wide fov and not wallhack and…
b) because the plugin doesn’t work any more.

Just so I’m clear, is that right?

That’s about the size of it, yes.

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

Quoted from skeej

Im just gonna take the bait and say: lets allow all unlocks and play 12v12 then.

FOV has been capped since the game’s release, unlocks were added later :>

Valve have taken affirmative action in clarifying their position on FOV abuse.

Vote 2!

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

C’mon James, you know that you’re attacking that specific example (and ignoring the “12v12” bit) as a straw man argument. The whole point of competitive it that it DOESN’T resemble the way TF2 was intended to play.

People having certain aspect ratio’s to achieve certain fov’s NEVER has been an issue. There are still loads of people playing on 4:3 monitors, they have always been playing at a lower fov than people with widescreen monitors. I used to play fullscreen with a lower fov than others cause my monitor is 16:10 and most popular monitors nowadays are 16:9.

Also, popular opinion about fov seems to be all over the place. Many people consider higher/lower fov as a simple preference instead of an actual advantage (ask Byte :3). The only problem was the wallhacking, which is probably still piss easy to do with some circumventions.

atmo

Fov 120 makes aiming harder but it also makes you seem like you’re running way faster so I still like it.

KLar

okie

Quoted from atmo

Fov 120 makes aiming harder but it also makes you seem like you’re running way faster so I still like it.

makes aiming easier for me

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from KLar

Care to elaborate on why it makes it easier for you on 120?

grimbar

Quoted from KLar

+1 for rockets

ondkaja

IKEA

Quoted from Crasp

[…]

From what I’ve heard so far from admin discussions it looks like it will be 0.

sv_restrict_aspect_ratio_fov restricts players using non-standard resolutions to increase their fov (e.g. “-w 1280 -h 800” in launch options) and that sort of thing*. Yes you can see through walls if you ridiculise it but try actually playing at 1920×200. The FOV plugin itself has been negated elsewhere so should no longer work.

*correct me if I’m wrong.

sv_restrict_aspect_ratio_fov 1 doesn’t restrict FOV for players who are using fullscreen. Players who are using screens with irregular aspect ratios aren’t affected by this cvar (unless it is set on 2), as it only restricts FOV for people who are using windowed mode.

Quoted from grimbar

[…]

+1 for rockets

Its just easier. Airshots become easier :D

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from happy little boozer

[…]
Its just easier. Airshots become easier :D

They look better in HD– oh wait.

ijswezel

swimp

anything less than about 90-100 gives me real bad headaches and motion sickness. i hope to god this isn’t actually enforced in match servers because it will personally be hell for me. playing at high fov is so much easier on my eyes :(

AnimaL

delete

Last edited by AnimaL,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »