Forum

Change in etf2l config [allow custom sounds]

Created 22nd November 2011 @ 22:22

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from feral

You wouldn’t see a great deal of performance improvement from lowering sound quality

And that’s not the reason that anyone does it… the reason people do it is because the clarity/directionality of the sound is much better without reverb/DSP.

grimbar

Quoted from feral

After all, tf2 is a game. Player should have the right to make it more enjoyable to play.

ETF2L rules do not state anything regarding the right to make the game more enjoyable, your best bet are those pubs that allow these shenanigans.

As Chris stated, people turn down stuff because it allows for more clarity. Performance is hardly an issue for anyone with a recent computer (and even for people with older hardware that know a thing or two about maintenance).

In essence you’re saying that you should have the right and your teammates agree, followed by “nobody refutes me so I’m right and everybody who disagrees does so pointlessly”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

DeNeusbeer

(Legend)
HoT<3

Hi.

Firstly, as you said, allowing custom sounds means servers need to be on sv_pure 1 with an appropriate whitelist. This is inconvenient. There’s enough things people have to worry about on their server already (Configs, item whitelist). The less configuration needed, the better. There are plenty of occasions where the configs are missing/not executed properly/whitelist incorrect/etc already.

Secondly, you can probably get an unfair advantage when you can mod your sounds. For example: amplify the medic’s “uber ready” call so it really stands out. Or doing the same with the spy decloak sound (I personally never hear it when it gets a bit hectic.)

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from DeNeusbeer

Secondly, you can probably get an unfair advantage when you can mod your sounds. For example: amplify the medic’s “uber ready” call so it really stands out. Or doing the same with the spy decloak sound (I personally never hear it when it gets a bit hectic.)

To be fair, the same effect can be achieved with closed captions (which are not limited by sv_pure).

Dr-GimpfeN

9g1c

Quoted from DeNeusbeer

would be epic

+1 for this idea

Dummy

its not cheating if its legal!
:D

dodgydogman

Panda

Change the spy decloak sound to “WARNING. SPY UNCLOAKING.”

“WARNING ENEMY TEAM HAS UBERCHARGE”

“WARNING ENEMY SOLDIER IS ROCKETJUMPING”

etc…
Anything that could give the player an unfair advantage doesnt really have a place in competitive matches. Most public servers allow it because nobody cares if someone is cheating.
Also the “goals” you mentioned are a little optimistic lol. I dont really know anyone who needs custom sounds to have a fun team oriented competitive experience, or would even care.. Im sure 99% of people pretty much faze the round ending sounds out anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtMweQ3cIIQ

Last edited by dodgydogman,

antyjc

2ne1

Quoted from octochris

[…]

To be fair, the same effect can be achieved with closed captions (which are not limited by sv_pure).

Don’t close captions only appear if you can hear the sound anyway? Or should be able to hear it.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from antyjc

[…]

Don’t close captions only appear if you can hear the sound anyway? Or should be able to hear it.

…which is also true for any sound you would modify…

grimbar

The distance on when a sound counts as audible is quite astounding and bordering on the unhearable when you have calls going on, exactly why CC is useful to some people (to me it just presents useless and beyond obvious info)

But important to note here is that the spy decloak does not produce a CC notice, for balance reasons, hence being able to mod sounds would present a real problem.

Plus what DeNeusbeer said, too many people struggle with regular server maintenance already.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from grimbar

The distance on when a sound counts as audible is quite astounding and bordering on the unhearable when you have calls going on, exactly why CC is useful to some people (to me it just presents useless and beyond obvious info)

CC’s dont pick up on sounds unless they’re pretty near. For example, on gullywash I could be in spawn on last and hear a medic uber on mid (if nothing else is going on), but the CC won’t pick up on that.

tl;dr cc is rather useless

grimbar

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

CC’s dont pick up on sounds unless they’re pretty near. For example, on gullywash I could be in spawn on last and hear a medic uber on mid (if nothing else is going on), but the CC won’t pick up on that.

tl;dr cc is rather useless

scene_maxcaptionradius 0

Quoted from DeNeusbeer

Firstly, as you said, allowing custom sounds means servers need to be on sv_pure 1 with an appropriate whitelist. This is inconvenient. There’s enough things people have to worry about on their server already (Configs, item whitelist). The less configuration needed, the better. There are plenty of occasions where the configs are missing/not executed properly/whitelist incorrect/etc already.

Well, I don’t see any big problem in sv_pure 1 and whitelist. This may be done in the next config release to minimise reconfiguration.

The only sounds I ask for are your_team_lost, your_team_won, your_team_stalemate, tf_dominate, tf_revenge, tf_nemesis. These sounds would give no unfair advantage to anybody. And those who don’t use custom sounds won’t see any difference either.

grimbar

Quoted from feral

[…]

Well, I don’t see any big problem in sv_pure 1 and whitelist. This may be done in the next config release to minimise reconfiguration.

The only sounds I ask for are your_team_lost, your_team_won, your_team_stalemate, tf_dominate, tf_revenge, tf_nemesis. These sounds would give no unfair advantage to anybody. And those who don’t use custom sounds won’t see any difference either.

That opens the flood gates for more requests though and people will come up with fair scenarios for all kinds of random sounds.

I’m fairly confident this isn’t the way to go, as it’s been stated there is no practical benefit for the competitive side of Team Fortress 2.

slate

(ETF2L Donator)
AMG

Is there even a way to check which files are allowed to be customized as client?

If not then it’s not only pointless, but also kicks the door open for material and particle hacks.

checking if the server has sv_pure 2 is done in a matter of seconds, never checked myself what it looks like for sv_pure 1, if the allowed stuff gets listed.

Last edited by slate,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »