Forum

Change in etf2l config [allow custom sounds]

Created 22nd November 2011 @ 22:22

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

What do you think about allowing some harmless custom sounds like your_team_lost or your_team_won? I asked etf2l admin CanFo and he gave me this advice: “unless many other players request it, i seriously doubt it”.
I’m totally for enabling this option. Hope I’ll find some like-minded players here.

Main goals:
– strengthening team culture through using team-specific audio files
– relieving after-round stress
– renewing the sounds to refresh tf2 gaming

P.S.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Pure_Servers – as far as I understood, it is possible to allow specific sounds. the only thing needed is a small whitelist

Last edited by feral,

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from feral

What do you think about allowing some harmless custom sounds like your_team_lost or your_team_won? I asked etf2l admin CanFo and he gave me this advice: “unless many other players request it, i seriously doubt it”.
Hope I’ll find some similar-minded players here, because sounds are great fun.

P.S.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Pure_Servers – as far as I understood, you may actually allow specific sounds.

In all that you didn’t even say why would you want to allow them in the first place.

Custom sounds add some diversity to tf2 and I actually have more fun with them than with old tf2 sounds which I hear since 2007.

grimbar

It doesn’t add anything useful to competitive TF2, so your chances of allowing it for the sake of this so called “fun” are quite slim.

Custom sounds may relieve after-round stress thus maintaining the player’s health.

Last edited by feral,

octochris

(0v0)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

y u so conservative? I hoped to find some sound modders who may find my idea interesting. Comments of those who don’t like it are somewhat pointless…

Nuck

TIDS
TSGHUH

Quoted from feral

Comments of those who don’t like it are somewhat pointless…

Oh I wish I had known this before.
Delete the forums then pls.

Saki

Hmm denying of pointless idea is pointless as well.

Seriously though in a competitive format what really makes you think this is necessary?

Players turn down their graphics even on high powerful machines in competitive to focus on the game and be less distracted. Why would the idea for sounds be any different?

As far as custom content besides some maps, isn’t that what those modded pub servers are for?

Quoted from Nuck

[…]
Oh I wish I had known this before.
Delete the forums then pls.

I’m interested in adequate crtitique if anyone manages to come up with it.

Last edited by feral,

Saki

I’m interested in adequate crtitique if anyone manages to come up with it.

My post above then.
Do you even know any like-minded players who have agreed to you yet?

Last edited by Saki,

Quoted from Saki

Seriously though in a competitive format what really makes you think this is necessary?

Players turn down their graphics even on high powerful machines in competitive to focus on the game and be less distracted. Why would the idea for sounds be any different?

As far as custom content besides some maps, isn’t that what those modded pub servers are for?

You wouldn’t see a great deal of performance improvement from lowering sound quality or disabling it.

After all, tf2 is a game. Player should have the right to make it more enjoyable to play.

Quoted from Saki

Do you even know any like-minded players who have agreed to you yet?

Yeah, my teammates basically.

vøid

Quoted from octochris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

why the fuck did i watch it with subtitles ?

Saki

Quoted from feral

[…]

You wouldn’t see a great deal of performance improvement from lowering sound quality or disabling it.

After all, tf2 is a game. Player should have the right to make it more enjoyable to play.

I’m not talking about performance, read my post properly.
I’m talking about focus in a game or match.
Agreed games all about fun, however we’re talking about etf2l here. I highly doubt that custom sounds are going to add to the competitive community.

Would an athlete prefer to use a vuvuzela to start his race or would he/she be more interested to actually concentrate fully on the run itself?

Really though, there’s a reason why there are other servers available with those options.

If you have supporters in your team for this notion then that’s all well and good, but good luck trying to get the whole community to agree with you.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »