Forum

Launch options - myths and falsifications

Created 17th May 2011 @ 08:58

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Rotab

≧◡≦

Quoted from IPZIE

http://images.travelpod.com/users/northwesthook/alaska_2007.1184292000.i-have-murdered-a-fish.jpg

I HAVE KNOWLEDGE. SEE MY FISK!

that’s not what fisk looks like..

Daleth

ti.
[PG]

Question: I have the nVidia GeForce GTS 250, would I be better off on dxlevel 95?

laerin

-9w-

As opposed to 90, as stated, 95 is better. If you mean as opposed to 81, I guess if your GPU isn’t what’s limiting your fps it should be fine? Test it yourself.

Last edited by laerin,

Ghent

Team

-novid?

AnAkkk

Quoted from Crasp

Editing a page for the purposes of this discussion has removed some of the respect I had for that site. :/

If you check the page history I added almost all the launch options that are on the page in 2010. -threads do exist and was missing, I wouldn’t have added it to the page just because of this topic.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from AnAkkk

[…]

If you check the page history I added almost all the launch options that are on the page in 2010. -threads do exist and was missing, I wouldn’t have added it to the page just because of this topic.

More interestingly; What does -threads do and when is one supposed to be using it?

Tommeh

‹Con›

+1 respect for anakin cause hes a boss :D

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

More interestingly; What does -threads do and when is one supposed to be using it?

I can’t get it to do anything (-threads {1..8} all have the same effect), but I assume it’s supposed to control the number of usermode threads that hl2.exe spawns.

Reaper

Nave

Always useful to know.
I was using dxlevel 90. Testing…

LOL timedemo

Dxlevel 90 – 123fps
Dxlevel 95 – 114fps
Dxlevel 90 – 128fps

This game really is a cpu whore…

octochris

(0v0)

Last edited by octochris,

Saki

Hi again chris!

Was looking at the recent mumble overlay issue popping up in the recent tf2 updates.

There was a mention of the launch option -nod3d9ex fixing the mumble overlay around etf2l. More members on the steam community forums saying that it helps fps stability.

Can you please clarify what this launch option actually does?

I’m curious.

octochris

(0v0)

It disables Direct3D 9Ex (instead deferring to true Direct3D 9), which will usually incur a non-negligible performance penalty. As a side effect, it enables/disables stuff that Valve bundled with their implementation, which might affect which bugs you do or don’t encounter (Mumble overlay bug being one of them). There have been reports that changing mat_antialias to 1 instead of 0 stops it, but then the backpack icons break again. You just can’t win with Valve!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX#DirectX_10

Schrikvis

And -d3d , is that fine?
And -Console ? What about that one?

AnAkkk

Quoted from Schrikvis

And -d3d , is that fine?
And -Console ? What about that one?

There is no -d3d, as there is only 1 video mode under Windows and 1 video mode under Mac, so there is no point to try to change the video mode.

-console makes the console show up when you launch the game.

Last edited by AnAkkk,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from AnAkkk

1 video mode under Linux

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »