Chris' FPS configs

Created 6th June 2010 @ 15:17

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 95 96 97 ... 116 Next »

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from KLar

im still (only) getting 80-100fps on mids and i dont know why
my specs: radeon 6950@1gb, Phenom x4 965@3,8ghz, 4gb ram, win7@64

The first thing to check is that the CPU isn’t having all of its cycles taken up by another process. Look in Task Manager for any process(es) that appears to be using a high amount of CPU time. In many cases, this can be your anti-virus doing something. If this is so, you probably will want to disable it before playing TF2.

It is also possible that your hardware is overheating. Even if the overheating itself doesn’t pose a direct issue, many CPUs and GPUs will underclock (and potentially undervolt) to attempt to cool down if a certain threshold is reached. You can check your temperatures using something like SpeedFan. If you wish to monitor these temperatures in game, you can either use the Events tab in Configure to do something noticeable when a user-set threshold is reached (for example, you can set an audible beep to go off), or you can set up logging on the Log tab and look at it after playing. Bear in mind that you still need to specify the sensor data to log — this can be set up on the Temperatures tab, by selecting Logged when a sensor is selected.

If you use Mumble, there is a confirmed bug with some builds of 1.2.3 where the overlay would cause significant FPS drops in some games (and TF2 is one of the games affected). This issue should supposedly be fixed in recent stable builds of Mumble, but if updating doesn’t fix it for you (or you are already using the latest version) then you might want to try downgrading to 1.2.2 and seeing if that fixes it. You could also just disable the overlay.

If you’re using Mumble’s positional audio feature, you may want to try turning it off. There have been a few reports that it reliably decreases FPS, and in some situations causes FPS instability.

If using the -high launch option appears to fix this issue, you almost definitely have another process loading the CPU. You should not use this launch option all the time, even if it does fix it. -high is just a band aid, and using it for such issues is like using one to cover a war wound. You also risk having increased input latency, as running TF2 at high priority means that device drivers have to start competing with TF2 for time on the CPU, which is not a good thing. Instead, you should attempt to track down the process that is loading the CPU, and stop it from running.

This issue sometimes also manifests when running TF2 in windowed mode. You may wish to try running in fullscreen mode to see if the issue is alleviated, or you might also want to try disabling desktop compositing, which in some cases can gain a significant amount of FPS (you can do this by right clicking on hl2.exe, going to properties, selecting the Compatibility tab, and then selecting Disable desktop composition).

Benedetto

| insΛne

// IMPORTANT: Remove -dxlevel 81 from the launch options after the first launch!

May I ask why ? :o

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Benedetto

[…]

“Why” is kind of difficult to answer since TF2 is closed-source. All I know is that leaving it in can cause all sorts of strange, unreproducable issues (crash on tab, crash on minimise, crash on death, the list goes on). Once it’s removed, it will stay at that dxlevel until you change it again.

Stalfos

For some reason, since always, I get better performance with highframes than with maxframes, but oh well, I actually like that.

Great update, stable 80fps in a 3 years old laptop.

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Hope you don’t mind me asking, which cvars have different performance impact based on the rig the game is run on and which can cause instability in case of an ignorant modification?

KLar

okie

Quoted from octochris

[…]

The first thing to check is that the CPU isn’t having all of its cycles taken up by another process. Look in Task Manager for any process(es) that appears to be using a high amount of CPU time. In many cases, this can be your anti-virus doing something. If this is so, you probably will want to disable it before playing TF2.

It is also possible that your hardware is overheating. Even if the overheating itself doesn’t pose a direct issue, many CPUs and GPUs will underclock (and potentially undervolt) to attempt to cool down if a certain threshold is reached. You can check your temperatures using something like SpeedFan. If you wish to monitor these temperatures in game, you can either use the Events tab in Configure to do something noticeable when a user-set threshold is reached (for example, you can set an audible beep to go off), or you can set up logging on the Log tab and look at it after playing. Bear in mind that you still need to specify the sensor data to log — this can be set up on the Temperatures tab, by selecting Logged when a sensor is selected.

If you use Mumble, there is a confirmed bug with some builds of 1.2.3 where the overlay would cause significant FPS drops in some games (and TF2 is one of the games affected). This issue should supposedly be fixed in recent stable builds of Mumble, but if updating doesn’t fix it for you (or you are already using the latest version) then you might want to try downgrading to 1.2.2 and seeing if that fixes it. You could also just disable the overlay.

If you’re using Mumble’s positional audio feature, you may want to try turning it off. There have been a few reports that it reliably decreases FPS, and in some situations causes FPS instability.

If using the -high launch option appears to fix this issue, you almost definitely have another process loading the CPU. You should not use this launch option all the time, even if it does fix it. -high is just a band aid, and using it for such issues is like using one to cover a war wound. You also risk having increased input latency, as running TF2 at high priority means that device drivers have to start competing with TF2 for time on the CPU, which is not a good thing. Instead, you should attempt to track down the process that is loading the CPU, and stop it from running.

This issue sometimes also manifests when running TF2 in windowed mode. You may wish to try running in fullscreen mode to see if the issue is alleviated, or you might also want to try disabling desktop compositing, which in some cases can gain a significant amount of FPS (you can do this by right clicking on hl2.exe, going to properties, selecting the Compatibility tab, and then selecting Disable desktop composition).

thx for the tips i will try them later

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from freshmeatt

Hope you don’t mind me asking, which cvars have different performance impact based on the rig the game is run on and which can cause instability in case of an ignorant modification?

I guess mostly the threading, some mat_ commands set incorrectly will potentially cause the renderer to fail loading (and will cause CTD on load), amongst other things.

hINDUs

Quoted from Benedetto

[…]

coz u dont shiat like diz 2 happenz : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-sDTaz-hhQ

Last edited by hINDUs,

octochris

(0v0)

Updated:

– Fixed bug where backpack items would be displayed smaller than they should be
– Motion blur is now off by default in *quality

Prozein

Why antialias 0?

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Prozein

Why antialias 0?

That’s “Fixed bug where backpack items would be displayed smaller than they should be”, believe it or not :D

Stalfos

But doesn’t antialias 0 kill some performance?

octochris

(0v0)

Er, no, why on earth would it do that? I’m guessing you misunderstand what antialiasing is…

atmo

Quoted from octochris

[…]

That’s “Fixed bug where backpack items would be displayed smaller than they should be”, believe it or not :D

What about “Fixed bug where load-out screen only ever appears at the second time of asking”?

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from atmo

[…]

What about “Fixed bug where load-out screen only ever appears at the second time of asking”?

You know the cause of this bug?

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 95 96 97 ... 116 Next »