Forum

Steam now has Limited Accounts

Created 18th April 2015 @ 14:25

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Vaskie

BulletClub

Limited User Accounts

Note:

CD Keys, retail purchases, and gifts do not remove limited user restrictions. See How do I gain access to these features? below for more information.

Steam Support cannot remove this limited user status from your account.

Why can’t I access certain Steam features?

We’ve chosen to limit access to these features as a means of protecting our customers from those who abuse Steam for purposes such as spamming and phishing. Read more…
How do I gain access to these features?

You will need to spend at least $5.00 USD within the Steam store.

Some examples of purchases that grant access to these features are:

Adding the equivalent of $5 USD or more to your Steam Wallet
Purchasing game(s) that are equal to $5 USD or more from the Steam store
Adding a Steam Wallet card to your Steam account
Purchasing a Steam gift from the Steam store (Receiving a Steam gift from a friend doesn’t count)

Each Steam purchase total will be tracked in USD. If your Steam store’s currency isn’t in USD, it will be tracked and converted to USD automatically using daily exchange rates.

What features are unavailable to me?

Limited users are prevented from accessing several features on Steam, including but not limited to:

Sending friend invites
Opening group chat
Voting on Greenlight, Steam Reviews and Workshop items
Participating in the Steam Market
Posting frequently in the Steam Discussions
Gaining Steam Profile Levels and Trading Cards
Submitting content on the Steam Workshop
Posting in an item’s Steam Workshop Discussions
Accessing the Steam Web API
Using browser and mobile chat

What will not grant me access to the above features?

The below actions will not remove limited user restrictions:

Activating a retail game on Steam
Playing free demos
Adding a non-Steam game as a shortcut
Adding/playing promotional trials like Free Weekends
Free to Play games (Examples: Alien Swarm, free versions of Portal and Team Fortress 2)
Activating promotional CD Keys from hardware or graphic card manufacturers

I received my game(s) as a gift, will I gain access to all features?

No, games that have been received as a gift or via Steam Trading are not eligible.

What if a purchase is refunded to my bank or my purchase is disputed/chargeback?

If a purchase amount is returned to your bank, the amount will be subtracted from your account’s total purchase value. If the refund or dispute amount brings your account’s total purchase value below $5 USD, then your account will lose access to these features.

For example, if you purchase a game for $5 USD, your account will gain access to these Community features. If you open a dispute with your bank, these funds will be returned to the bank and you will lose access to these features because Steam never received the funds.

What if a purchase is refunded to my Steam Wallet?

Refunds credited to your Steam Wallet, such as pre-order refunds, do not modify access to these Steam Community features.

What if my Steam store currency isn’t in USD?

If the Steam store isn’t in USD, we will track the purchase amount in USD by converting each purchase total made on Steam using daily exchange rates. Once you have made the equivalent of $5.00 USD or more in total Steam purchases, you will gain access to the restricted Steam features.

This seems like a decent solution to me, in a perfect world, the ability to add friends and join groups and so on wouldn’t cost a dime, but as far as i can understand it’s the best solution to the massive problem that Steam has had for a while. Hopefully no more Bots adding everyone to scam.

I have seen plenty of people in other forums argue that they don’t use Steam for anything but the free to play games including Dota 2 and that they have close to 300-600 hours and now they have to spend money to add friends. The way i see it, if you have spent such amount of hours, you should be more than willing to spend 5 bucks. Even the most basic meal or coffee with a snack ends up costing that.

On the ETF2L side of things, it might make new players have a difficult time on our league as they won’t be able to add opponents/admins and so on.

What are your thoughts ?

AnAkkk

This has actually existed for years, this is not new. You can find threads from 2009 about limited accounts on various forums. Maybe they added more limitations to these type of accounts recently though.

Last edited by AnAkkk,

KOBA

Used to be able to add people with f2p account no so long ago . Rip

Vaskie

BulletClub

Yeah, that’s what happened earlier this morning, they added a whole bunch of limitations including not being able to add friends unless you spend a minimum of 5 dollars.

frixx

LG

edit: yes there are some new features, my bad :)

Last edited by frixx,

EmilioEstevez

GG

Good, I get around 5 phishing accounts adding me every day. Hopefully that’ll stop now.

Last edited by EmilioEstevez,

Pete_

PrettyGay

probably the best solution to annoying phishing bots. Gj valve

Meeto

Quoted from frixx

old

Nah

CapTVK

HoT<3

Quoted from AnAkkk

This has actually existed for years, this is not new. You can find threads from 2009 about limited accounts on various forums. Maybe they added more limitations to these type of accounts recently though.

Free accounts or users who haven’t made a purchase on Steam for a certain period (a year? can’t remember) cannot participate on the Steam Market. But some of these limitations are pretty damning for new/casual steamusers. I’m surprised this hasn’t caused much uproar.

And note this:

What features are unavailable to me?

Limited users are prevented from accessing several features on Steam, including but not limited to:

Basically this leaves the door open to much more limitations and denial of certain features in the future. This actually is a major change in user rights on Steam.

Last edited by CapTVK,

Add A Reply Pages: 1