Forum

Looking for wordpress coder

Created 25th February 2014 @ 20:57

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

huhystah

Hey!

Me and few of my other friends have started a league. Our idea is to first start small and focus on wordpress site for tournaments. I am looking for a coder who could help with the site things.

Leave a reply here or add me on steam.

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

ETF2L2

huhystah

Quoted from Sideshow

ETF2L2

Not ETF2L league of course. Just a regular one with multiple games.

dodgydogman

Panda

You’d be lucky to get a coder to work for free :D.

Last edited by dodgydogman,

Thalash

wG
S-O

wordpress top ez

huhystah

Quoted from dodgydogman

You’d be lucky to get a coder to work for free :D.

That is an opportunity for someone to add something to their CV and possibly start working with us on further projects. We are all students, so we don’t have anything to offer right now. We are just looking for people with the same mind set to do something esports related.

I have personally tried looking for free WordPress themes, but most of those aren’t fully customizable, so in the end it is hard to do things with the site.

Last edited by huhystah,

byte

If I have a design to adhere too, coding it is a piece of piss, in terms of modifying themes visually I can do that, but I’d need a design to go by to code it not doing it off a limb!

Cheers

Byte

KillAri

Take a theme, modify color/size/position , job done.
Lot of people can do that byte :p

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

I’d strongly advise against using WordPress as your framework for a league because:
* PHP sucks
* MySQL sucks
* WordPress’ code base sucks
* Deploying and maintaining a heavily modified WordPress app sucks

And you’ll need to heavily modify WordPress to make it work as an esports league site, because WordPress is a CMS, not a fully featured web framework. It’s simply not flexible enough.
Finding or creating a good looking theme is probably the easiest of your problems. Embedding a whole league system (players, divisions, leagues, seasons, matches, match pages, result submission, teams, authorization, scores…) into WordPress’ eco system is where the fun begins. It’s not worth the try. emb, dave, slate, ST8, Deneussbeer and anyone who has ever touched the ETF2L source code will agree I guess.

Russian Guyovich

(Surging Meat Cable)
[T-A!]LoS

Coming from an Oracle/SQL Server background, I’ve never delved much into MySQL.

Out of curiosity though, what are some of the reasons which make it suck? Is it just for a back end to Wordpress or are there more common limitations in the RDBMS itself?

Apologies for the off-topic question, but I’m interested.

Last edited by Russian Guyovich,

CHERRY

If I’d be doing it from scratch I’d go with Python+Pylons/Django+PostgreSQL.
For me the biggest problem with MySQL is that it’s pain in the ass to use it with SQLAlchemy, but there are few more reasons, if you want to know more head to this http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/MySQL_vs_PostgreSQL.

On the other hand it will be much easier to find PHP coder than Python.

Last edited by CHERRY,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from nTraum

emb, dave, slate, ST8, Deneussbeer and anyone who has ever touched the ETF2L source code will agree I guess.

I’m glad you didn’t mention me there, because I do actually disagree. The ETF2L code doesn’t use wordpress the way it should be (for legacy reasons – many features that now exist in wordpress didn’t yet when etf2l was originally written). End of the day if you keep your league code and tables separate from wordpress code and tables (think MVC-like here), you won’t be facing many issues.

Yes, wordpress has its limitations, as does every pre written system out there. Ideally of course you’d write something like this from scratch (good luck maintaining your cup pages and news posts etc), but if you insist on choosing from an existing CMS-like system, wordpress most definitely isn’t far down the list.

Wordpress’ codebase is very nice, has many features that lets you customise just about everything and it’s extremely well documented, too. Using it properly does require a certain amount of experience, but such is life.

As for PHP and MySQL sucking, that’s just your opinion :)

Last edited by Spike Himself,

byte

Quoted from KillAri

Take a theme, modify color/size/position , job done.
Lot of people can do that byte :p

Is it abit more than basic HTML/CSS though isn’t it if u’re going to change the layout, also how to portray information and interactions/permutations, using angularjs/jquery.

But yes KillAri guess anybody can do that…..(!)

And yes in agreement with ntraum php and mysql suck testicals with wordpress, you’d be better making off a site from scratch using php framework (symfony) and sql.

Cheers

Byte

Last edited by byte,

CHERRY

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

I’m glad you didn’t mention me there, because I do actually disagree. The ETF2L code doesn’t use wordpress the way it should be (for legacy reasons – many features that now exist in wordpress didn’t yet when etf2l was originally written). End of the day if you keep your league code and tables separate from wordpress code and tables (think MVC-like here), you won’t be facing many issues.

Yes, wordpress has its limitations, as does every pre written system out there. Ideally of course you’d write something like this from scratch (good luck maintaining your cup pages and news posts etc), but if you insist on choosing from an existing CMS-like system, wordpress most definitely isn’t far down the list.

Wordpress’ codebase is very nice, has many features that lets you customise just about everything and it’s extremely well documented, too. Using it properly does require a certain amount of experience, but such is life.

As for PHP and MySQL sucking, that’s just your opinion :)

You can’t make league system without either making it depend on the theme (using theme’s functions to render league pages instead of wordpress ones) or changing wordpress core files, so yes Wordpress has it’s limitations, which disqualify it as cms for the league. Still you can mak everything using theme’s functions and plugins overriding wordpress defaults, but what’s the point since making wordpress plugin and theme will take +/- same amount of time as making it from scratch with different language.

As for MySQL and PHP sucking it’s an opinion based on facts. You might not need some of the things missing in MySQL and PHP and ignore it’s flaws. I just don’t believe people who say that PHP is good. In my opinion they just didn’t have chance to use good programming language.

Here’s a short list of PHP’s flaws:
Philosophy
Operators
Variables
Constructs
Error handling
Functions
OO
Data manipulation
Execution
Security
Inconsistency

Here’s good article on this topic http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

Last edited by CHERRY,

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

Quoted from Russian Guyovich

Coming from an Oracle/SQL Server background, I’ve never delved much into MySQL.

Out of curiosity though, what are some of the reasons which make it suck? Is it just for a back end to Wordpress or are there more common limitations in the RDBMS itself?

Apologies for the off-topic question, but I’m interested.

The biggest issue I have with MySQL is the inferior query planner.

It will sometimes miss indexes in bigger queries, especially subqueries, resulting in a huge performance hit unless you force the index. You have to look at the explain plan for any query involving more than a couple of joins even if you have a perfect understanding of the underlying schema.

It will sometimes fail to properly optimize queries to views built from left joins, querying tables that are absolutely unnecessary. For example, selecting a from a view that is defined as

SELECT
foo.a, bar.b, baz.c
FROM foo
LEFT JOIN b ON foo.derp = bar.herp
LEFT JOIN c ON foo.derp = baz.herp

will only query table foo in Postgres and OracleDB, but may also query tables bar and/or baz in MySQL, even though it has no reason to. This is part of the reason MySQL views are notorious for sinking performance in projects.

Additionally, MySQL does not even try to optimize queries with 3 or more levels of depth – they always result in full table scans. Such queries can be very useful for certain applications, and Postgres/OracleDB can usually optimize them without issues.

Another feature I found missing in MySQL is materialized views, which is a neat way to store expensive result sets in a form that you can operate on with regular SQL statements.

All things considered, I would suggest going with Postgres if you have a choice. As ETF2L is built on top of Wordpress, I did not have one.

As for building a league on top of Wordpress, using my experience with ETF2L as an example, I wouldn’t necessarily say that’s a bad idea for a small league. Most of the issues ETF2L has are a direct result of somebody being lazy, rather than limitations of the platform. WordPress has some quirks but it is alright to work with.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »