Forum

TFTV Highlander Invitational

Created 7th February 2014 @ 15:20

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Hey folks.

I have been organising an event, primarily as a fundraiser to support UGC North America’s Platinum fundraiser for 9v9. Most likely most of us won’t be around to watch it, but with the top 8 teams from NA HL invited and confirmed to participate, it should be a great competition to watch.

Link to article: http://teamfortress.tv/articles/view/227-tftv-highlander-invitational

We started off 2014 strong with ZOWIE-sponsored cups for North America and Europe (which brought in record online viewership) and nail-bitingly close ESEA LAN.

However, some things have been missing from all of this great TF2 action.; there’s been a shortage of Pyro-deflected pushes, Dead Ringers being activated, and Mini-sentries being planted everywhere, bringing joy and misery alike to all those who prefer healing a Heavy to a Soldier (blasphemy indeed!). The 9v9 format has yet to make its mark this year, but fear not cart-pushing lovers, you can get out of your beds and start chugging upwards, for now it is Highlander’s turn to show off its skill to the TF2 community!

Invited Teams

As some of you may know, United Gaming League, aka UGC (I know, I know… it doesn’t abbreviate) has been raising a rather low-key fundraiser so that their league can provide a prizepool for next season. To help this effort, teamfortress.tv is happy to present to you the first ever Highlander Invitational Fundraiser, starting this Sunday, February 9th at 5 PM EST. This event will be showcasing the top 8 UGC North America Platinum teams invited to participate in a one-day event designed to bring you great TF2 and hopefully part you from a few dusty pennies lying at the bottom of your wallets (just, you know, to help those paupers from UGC raise money for their prize pool). We hope that this competition will be a showcase for the great matches to come in UGC this season as well as possible future events.

The teams confirmed are a mixture of old and new alongside a few unknowns looking to show the world what they can do. Unfortunately for everyone involved, defending champions Street Hoops eSports folded and runners-up Menace To Society are yet to confirm their availability.

However I am delighted to report Season 11’s third placed side Electric Temptations, formerly known as Apocalypse Gaming Highlander alongside the joint 5th and 6th placed sides Dead Ringer Storage and SYOPS TF2 formerly known as Baby Punching Marathon.

Joining these established teams will be 2 newly-formed rosters for Season 12, MURDERFORCE9000 and Gentlemen’s Club, alongside the newly promoted Dunning-Kruger Effect (Gold division champions) and Stag Party.

Coverage

Keeping you covered on the microphone for the evening will be a casting team of TF2’s finest, yet to be confirmed. Stick around for a preview article before the event, where I will introduce the rosters for each and consult a panel of “experts” to give their judgements ahead of the big day. It will certainly be an interesting read ahead of a potentially exciting tournament, the first of it’s kind of North American Highlander.

Where can I watch this orgy of Highlander prowess you ask again? It’s okay young one, I will tell you again – Head over to teamfortress.tv, at 5pm Eastern United States time, or 11pm CEST and join the fun.

Kaneco

Is any eu event in the works? I wanna playyyy :D

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from Kaneco

Is any eu event in the works? I wanna playyyy :D

Not at the moment, this is merely a fundraiser event, not a sponsored event. Maybe someday. :P

Kaneco

Quoted from Hildreth

[…]

Not at the moment, this is merely a fundraiser event, not a sponsored event. Maybe someday. :P

I know its a funraiser event, but afaik the fundraiser affects both the EU and NA leagues or am I wrong? So it shouldnt be a problem to make a eu event :D

Bulow

GG

The fund raising is only for NA Platinum, the European (and Asian/South American/Australian for that matter) leagues will operate as before. Shame Kill Switch aren’t going to be in it, would have loved to see Kcot playing with 500 ping!

Kaneco

ohh really, I was under the impression the fundraiser was for all the UGC HL leagues

quell

UbeR |

Quoted from Bulow

would have loved to see Kcot playing with 500 ping!

i dont think ping will affect his aimbot ;)

Spreijer

CONCORDIA

Well, EU had the T-A! cup which went pretty well.

Last edited by Spreijer,

Rob!

TROLLIED
[T-A!]

More cups would be cool though.

We’re thinking of doing another one for fun, cant afford to throw down prize money again though. Might tailor it towards wireplay.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from Rob!

More cups would be cool though.

We’re thinking of doing another one for fun, cant afford to throw down prize money again though. Might tailor it towards wireplay.

Should get in contact with CanFo, try get some sponsorship. :P

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Another article, this time with previews + rules, maps and brackets: http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/1xbjbp/tftv_highlander_invitational/

Welcome folks, this is going to be the first ever Highlander tournament of it’s kind as 8 of the best teams from North American Highlander are coming together to raise funds for UGC, all live on TeamFortress.TV from 5pm EST; that being 11pm CET for us Euros or 7am AEST for those Kangaroo lovers down under. Bringing the stream coverage for you will be dash alongside the Queen of Highlander casting, Kip of KipTV fame joined on the microphone by Ryushi also known as The Teenage Admirable. These Highlander loving nutcases will be on stream all night to bring you the best possible coverage as we try to raise some nickels for our favourite Highlander team (well second favourite, I am a Wireplay boy myself). The introductions are over, lets have a look at the rules, maps, brackets and the seedings below:

Rules + Maps
So the tournament is going to be double elimination, just like the ZOWIE events of the past couple of months but with a slight twist as this is 9v9 mode baby and you got 4 different gamemodes to play. The first two rounds of the upper bracket plus the first round of the lower bracket will see slightly shorter matches due to time constraints. Therefore for Payload and Attack/Defence maps, we will only see a best of one round affair, until we reach the mid stages of the tournament (Upper Bracket Final + Lower Bracket round 2). Also King of the Hill maps will be best of 5 rounds throughout the tournament whilst the favoured 5 capture point maps will be timelimit 30, winlimit 5 throughout the event.

For the maps, leaders were asked to vote for their 7 favourite maps to play in the event. The ones that did selected 7 maps, which I have listed below:

pl_badwater
pl_upward
cp_process_final
koth_pro_viaduct_rc4
cp_gullywash_final1
koth_lakeside_final
cp_steel
For each game up until the final, it will be best of 1 map decided by each team through map elimination. The higher seed will decide who picks first and then both teams will eliminate 3 maps each in turn until one map is left, then the teams will play this map and the winner will progress with the loser knocked to the lower bracket. Teams will do the same right up until the Grand Final, giving each side a chance to eliminate something they do not feel strong on so we have the best possible match on the most even map for both sides. When the Grand Final comes along around 9.30 EST, it will be best of three maps with the upper bracket winner deciding the first map and then the loser of each map will decide the next one until we have a winner (the same as the Losers Pick system in ETF2L).

Read the rest in the article at TeamFortress.TV – http://teamfortress.tv/articles/view/228

Python

Live now

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Come join – http://teamfortress.tv/streams/view/TeamFortressTV

mTs vs Gentlemen’s Club LIVE now.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Gentlemen’s Club were upset by Electric Temptations:
We have Dead Ringer Storage vs Electric Temptations in the grand final, starting now!
http://teamfortress.tv/streams/view/TeamFortressTV

Toba

(a boT from the North)
Lutunen

Big 6h VOD http://www.twitch.tv/teamfortresstv/b/502132728

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »