Forum

TF2Center.com, from pub to competitive

Created 5th August 2013 @ 23:08

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 14 15 16 ... 33 Next »

Spike Himself

TC

(sorry for quoting the whole thing but I’d hate to see it get lost on the previous page)

Quoted from foxy_dave

Hi guys. There’s been a lot said here, and I wanted to clarify points raised.

On the subject of the TC mumble, I’ll be the first to say it was handled badly on our part. I’d like to apologise to the TC guys for that. The core issue here is the misunderstanding of what mumble not required means – in the admin team, we have taken it to mean you don’t *need* to join, but are welcome to if you’d like. It seems that this is incorrect in a lot of circumstances, and that it leads to people on various mumbles, and general confusion – particularly for newer players.

As such, we are currently discussing changing the wording and behaviour of this – Mumble Required lobbies will have a lobby channel spawned on the TF2Center mumble servers, and players should be expected to join it. This was one of the core features we had from the start.

Mumble Not Required will be renamed to Mumble Disabled, and lobbies with this option set will not have a mumble channel created. This should appease the players that are looking for a more tf2lobby-esque experience, whilst still allowing players who *do* want mumble (and in my own view and experience, a better quality of game) to have communication via the other options. Additionally it clarifies situations such as the TC one – TF2Center will not provide a mumble for that lobby, and you are free to *suggest* your own.

Regarding the handling of the situation, enforcing of any rules has not needed to happen in general since issues have not come up before. Following on from this, we are working on making sure that any admin decisions are discussed by the wider admin team, before action is taken. This should help ensure that personal feelings and snap decisions are avoided in future, and also means that the decision has the full backing of the admin team.

There has also been a lot of bad press recently surrounding MasterNoob.

Regarding accusations of cheating and hacking – we have had a handful of impersonators on the site using that steam name, hosting lobbies, and trying to give us a bad reputation. We currently have 5 IPs banned because of this, and are taking further actions to try and ensure players cannot impersonate admins on the site. The servers used for lobbies that the real MasterNoob hosts are actually on my server. They have no cheats enabled, and are used frequently to host lobbies throughout the day. If players have actual accusations against any suspected cheaters, then they can be reported on our (new) forum at http://forums.tf2center.com, or directly to someone in the admin team.

He has invested a huge amount of time in the site, was the sole developer for a long time, and is the unofficial team lead in a team of “equals”. He takes a great deal of pride in how well the site has been received by the community, and when players unjustly criticise or go against the general ethos of the site he defends it. This can unfortunately come across as overly aggressive at times. The previously outlined changes to how admin decisions are made should ensure that future incidents are handled in a better manner.

First of all thank you, also on behalf of our community, for handling this the way you have. I have nothing but praise for how thoroughly you’ve thought this through with your staff.

As for the MasterNoob impersonators you mention, outsiders who are just trolling in an attempt to make you look bad, that’s very very sad. I have to shamefully admit that I had not considered this and that I had blindly accepted these things as truth. So hereby a very sincere and well meant apology, again also on behalf of our community, to MasterNoob, for any false accusations that we may have made towards him as well as towards the rest of TF2C and its staff.

I’m extremely happy with the changes you are mentioning regarding the Mumble policy. This will definitely prevent issues such as the one at hand from happening. Again, very well thought out. I have nothing but praise for this.

It goes without saying that we as TC, but also everyone else here, are very grateful for the service you provide (this has always been the case, even though it may not have been so obvious lately), and you have proven right here that not only do you provide this amazing service, you also know how to deal with the less positive aspects of serving a community of this size. Props galore.

Apologies once again for how out of hand this has got. In case any of you are attending summer LAN; I owe you a drink.

Let’s hope we can enjoy TF2C for a long while yet!

Last edited by Spike Himself,

jakeowaty

Amen to that.

Russian Guyovich

(Surging Meat Cable)
[T-A!]LoS

Bosies all round

kKaltUu

UbeR |
-chess-

yo spike wtf, what do I do with my pitch forks now??!?!!

Dr. Heinz

★GF
KAAS

And what about my burning torches?

Point all excess pitchforks/torches/other mediums of manhunt towards this thread:
http://etf2l.org/forum/feedback/topic-28002/page-1/

Piste

Would it be possible to have stopwatch config for cp_gravelpit automatically? Right now it uses the standard 5-cp config with timelimit 30. It gets old having to explain to unaware lobby leaders that they need to change it.

Cckwzrd

who is?

Would be better if you could find a different option for automatic reporting. Right now its conflicting with too much stuff like manual reports or someone has a friend sub. Maybe just remove it?

quell

UbeR |

Quoted from Cckwzrd

Would be better if you could find a different option for automatic reporting. Right now its conflicting with too much stuff like manual reports or someone has a friend sub. Maybe just remove it?

no please. one of the things about lobby was that nobody ever reported and people were just being retards all around. if anything, increase the autoreport speed when players leave/dc during the game

Cckwzrd

who is?

Yea whatever dont understand how people can be that lazy, you dont even have to tab out. I got like 90 % reliability in ~40 games and i never left nor i got reported for leaving :D

LimeBowler

Quoted from quell

[…]
no please. one of the things about lobby was that nobody ever reported and people were just being retards all around. if anything, increase the autoreport speed when players leave/dc during the game

The reason few people reported in TF2 Lobby was because they had to Alt+Tab. If it were made easier to report in-game, and made more obvious that you could (there’s nothing in the F.A.Q about it), then there wouldn’t be a need for the auto-report.

Last edited by LimeBowler,

kKaltUu

UbeR |
-chess-

A bit different, but related to the discussion above is that mp_highlander is set to 1 in the configs. This means that subs that connect via the sub button on the site won’t be able to play their class, if someone outside of the lobby system has already hijacked that spot.

Whilst it is important to have the full number of players in the server, it’s also important to keep in mind that those substitute players lose something if these situations occur. By allowing non-lobbied people in the server and forcing class limits, you are effectively punishing people for pressing the sub button on their stats. They’re forced to either sit the lobby out in spectator, or hijack another class as soon as it is available (whilst automatic reporting keeps on firing new sub requests for the subsequent players that leave because they can’t play etc…)

Oxy

TC.Express

Can we make it so that when the lobby leader leaves without transferring leadership all reserved slots become free? Is like 3 lobbies up at the moment with a reserved spot in each with no leader…

Last edited by Oxy,

kaidus

WiK?

When I randomly get removed from a lobby 5 times a day, am I being kicked or is it just some bug?

Cuttlefish

6v6

Quoted from kaidus

When I randomly get removed from a lobby 5 times a day, am I being kicked or is it just some bug?

Generally it’s the lobby closing, when that happens. If it’s still up, you either didn’t rup in time or got kicked.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 14 15 16 ... 33 Next »