Forum

Pickup Survey [pickup hub website]

Created 28th May 2013 @ 16:03

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Shrike410

evCon.

The current way is just easier to implement.
I don’t mind changing it later on if thats what the community wants.

Sketch

MM

i still dont understand why people haven’t switched to using this one

it works! and people actually turn up!

Battery

Make onclick and hover colors on the buttons :)

BenBazinga

Garlic.tf

Add logs.tf support for sure, I’d probably only play 6v6, a captain system would work if you give the captains enough info about the players: div, pickups played, etc. Is mumble implemented atm? If not, it should be! The pickup.tf seems like a great URL! I wish you all the best of luck in getting this up and running!

JackyLegs

4SKINGS
SDCK!

BB, 9v9 and UD will be awesome for the pickup, it’s super hard to try finding a match on BB or Ultiduo, like for example if me and my friend want to play together and practice together, maybe make a “couples” system, and also one thing that I think should be impleneted are new MAPS, yes yes, new maps baby, I really don’t know where people get to play new maps either than someone famous playing it and bringing it to the community!, I mean for example bring cp_metalworks to the map list on the pickup, bring cp_warmfront, bring up even cp_ediface (it’s 3cp map like gravelpit, only funner :D!), and the list goes on!, even try bringing in some “pro” editions, like granaray, which asfaik many people like since they think the old one is boring.
I think, that if the community comes on and plays certain maps, and they like that map, the map will eventually be chosen to the map pool of ETF2L :)>.
Awesome thing that you guys are doing, really hope you could implementing these things.
GL :>

laerin

-9w-

Disagree on the new maps. It will definitely decrease interest in playing a pickup for one. People just want to relax and have fun when they play pickups and that would be harder when you’re forced to play arguably worse maps that you don’t know and more importantly, because it will cause pugs to be even more disorganised since over half the players probably will have no idea how to play it. There’s also the extra hassle of having to wait until everyone’s downloaded the map. If you wanna test new maps, better to just get a double mix of people that would be up for it rather than forcing people to play on it. The etf2l maps would be fine (maybe not viaduct).

Last edited by laerin,

JackyLegs

4SKINGS
SDCK!

Then how will we get to play new maps?, I mean playing the same maps over and over again will eventually bore you, and double mixes? seriously? lmao dude.
You won’t be forcing them to play it, you will just say that that’s the situation and if you don’t like it, well you’re either against knowing new maps or either you really dislike maps.
Might aswell play only fucking badlands over and over again, jesus.
We didn’t know anything about process, but we learned to!, I for a change never played process, and for the 1st time playing it, I had no clue what do to, but as I played it more, I understood it more, and enjoyed it more, no reason for any other map to have the same thing.
New maps are going to be here, take a lesson from the Americans, getting new maps in their map pool because :
A)People enjoyed it and wanted to try out new maps
B)They forced them to learn how to play the map and that did nothing wrong!, it only helped and made their gameplay more enjoyeable for them!
Listen man, when I played new maps, I went to YouTube, searched for rollouts, learned them, and learned the map through gameplay!, the only major thing to know is location names and rollouts, nothing more than that.
How did ctf_turbine get in the map pool of ETF2L? well, same way, I unfortuneatly didn’t get to play it on a competitive side of it, but I sure as well want to.
You go try and organize a double mix, on a new map, and trying to convince them to actually give it a try, where in a pickup, it won’t be a choise, you will play it, and give it a try!
How about 1st trying to add new maps and if it fails and people start to dislike them, just remove them from the map pool.
If it works, and people enjoy it, ETF2L will notice that and new maps will be considered for a change, and not the huge discussion over learning how to play certain gametypes or maps.
If you don’t want to learn how to play other gametypes than 5cp, well good sir, go play badlands all day long.
If you actually for a change want to try out new gametypes and see how it goes, well here’s your chance to see if it’s cool.
Basicly, try, if it fails your point is correct and we will keep playing 5cp maps and one (“maybe”) koth map.
That “maybe” of yours really shows how much you actually want to try out new gametypes.
Open lobby > Set map to badlands > Play it all day.
Go do the above if you dislike maps either than 5cp, saying maps a “worse” when you never actually gave it a try!!
Don’t listen to him please, atleast try adding new maps, what can possibly go wrong?

Last edited by JackyLegs,

Hallow

P.O.P

Quoted from JackyLegs

Don’t listen to him please, atleast try adding new maps, what can possibly go wrong?

People don’t play? That’s quite a big wrong imo. Play new maps with your friends if you really want to, a pickup system is not for it.

CHERRY

And without playing new maps people will vote for the same ones for ETF2L mapcycle over and over again.

laerin

-9w-

You’re missing the point. Most people don’t want to play pickups to test out new maps. Playing a map where everyone is playing even less organised than on a normal pickup isn’t fun. Especially if the maps are awful. I’m not saying they are all bad but currently we have the best maps in the pool and the majority of new maps a are forgotten. You may have not played process but it was already a well tested and played map by the time it was added to pickups/etf2l. The only map I can think of right now that is similar would be metalworks. And you can organise double mixes. I think it was mark who used to hold regular games on his map and even that didn’t survive. I think there was a steam group for people wanting to test out maps too. Personally, I wouldn’t mind 1 new map max but ideally the best map pool for the pickup would be the etf2l maps minus maybe viaduct. And just to clarify, I’m almost certain I’ve played and enjoyed more viaduct games than you’ve played but a lot of the time, it’s just not fun because of how the map is played. Saying new maps should be added to the pickup so people won’t have a choice to play them isn’t a good argument. And I don’t see how sticking with the regular 5 maps is the same as only playing badlands. Shintaz emphasised in his article how every tf2 game is different, if playing on ‘only’ 5 different maps Is boring for you, maybe 6v6 tf2 isn’t for you.

Last edited by laerin,

Trath

Quoted from JackyLegs

wall of text

I will sum up your wall of text in one sentence:
“If you don’t add new maps to a/the pickup system, players won’t play new maps and then there won’t be any new maps in the league”.

Besides the fact that new maps can be played in other forms such as but not limited too:
double-mixes with randoms
double-mixes with friends
arranging a PCW to be played on the new map

Is it even a problem that we don’t play new maps? I think not.
All 5cp maps are made with the same basic principles (5 cps, choke points, flank routes, props, hiding spots).
There is nothing that is actually new. You can have a shtick that will be cool for the first week of playing the map, but that is it.

New maps don’t improve the competitive play of FPS games in any way, once you have a set of maps. Counter Strike for example only had a handful of maps that were accepted by everyone. I’m pretty sure the same is true for quake.

Having a mew map every season that looks different is unnecessary. You should not be getting the breath of fresh air from new maps, but rather:
1. If you are a try-hard, you should be getting a breath of fresh air from improving.
2. If you are not a try-hard, you can try getting a breath of fresh air from playing with friends.
If neither works for you, take a break from the game and come back.

Regarding non-5cp maps:
That is another story because it’s not about maps, it’s about the game-mode. I think 5cp maps are dominant because they provide the best balance of DM, gamesense, innovation and being familiar with the map.
Meanwhile a koth map will just be a DM match in the majority of cases.
If you want to play a different game-mode, you try to find a group that wants to do the same.

TL;DR
Adding new maps to a pickup system ruins the purpose of such a system which is to allow easy access to play a competitive match, just like you can join a pub server with ease.
New maps are not needed for competitive play once a basic handful of maps are wildly agreed upon.

ze she ata yodea lihtov be anglit ze hamud, aval ze she ata hofer ve hoshev she ze mehazek et ha timtum shelha ze lo hamud.
tikah et ha timtum shelha le makom aher

JackyLegs

4SKINGS
SDCK!

Quoted from laerin

You’re missing the point. Most people don’t want to play pickups to test out new maps. Playing a map where everyone is playing even less organised than on a normal pickup isn’t fun. Especially if the maps are awful. I’m not saying they are all bad but currently we have the best maps in the pool and the majority of new maps a are forgotten. You may have not played process but it was already a well tested and played map by the time it was added to pickups/etf2l. The only map I can think of right now that is similar would be metalworks. And you can organise double mixes. I think it was mark who used to hold regular games on his map and even that didn’t survive. I think there was a steam group for people wanting to test out maps too. Personally, I wouldn’t mind 1 new map max but ideally the best map pool for the pickup would be the etf2l maps minus maybe viaduct. And just to clarify, I’m almost certain I’ve played and enjoyed more viaduct games than you’ve played but a lot of the time, it’s just not fun because of how the map is played. Saying new maps should be added to the pickup so people won’t have a choice to play them isn’t a good argument. And I don’t see how sticking with the regular 5 maps is the same as only playing badlands. Shintaz emphasised in his article how every tf2 game is different, if playing on ‘only’ 5 different maps Is boring for you, maybe 6v6 tf2 isn’t for you.

Never said that I was bored out of those maps, I said, that after a while from playing the same maps over and over, season after season, will eventually get you bored, if you think that maps will make the difference between playing 6’s or not, then I can’t help you out here.
Adding one new map? MAYBE, again saying that you don’t like any other game type rather than 5cp, It’s a great game type as trath said, envolving all the major things about competitive TF2, but it doesn’t mean that you only need to play them, why did we play Gravelpit for so long.?, why did we try out turbine? why did we add viadcut? for people like you to complain on how bad they are and how 5cp should be the only gametype on competitive TF2? No.
They made those decisions so people could try and enjoy other gametypes!
Quoted from Trath

[…]
ze she ata yodea lihtov be anglit ze hamud, aval ze she ata hofer ve hoshev she ze mehazek et ha timtum shelha ze lo hamud.
tikah et ha timtum shelha le makom aher

Kah dogma ma ha gaterim, kaha anahno nisino mapot hadoshot lefahot, ve taase li tova, ze she ani yoda anglit, lo omer she ma she ani roshem ze “timtum”, aim ata lo ohev at ha ovda she ata yahol lenasot mapot hadashot, az pashot al tanase, ki aim lo be pickup, aifo she rov airopa mesahekim, az aifo yenaso mapot hadashot? gaterim shel vgames? bihiat rabak, ahala anglit ahi, aval ma she rashmta ze hamud, aval metutam.
Quoted from Hallow

[…] People don’t play? That’s quite a big wrong imo. Play new maps with your friends if you really want to, a pickup system is not for it.

If not a pickup system, where most of Europe play on, where Europeans could make a huge influnce on ETF2L and their map-pool decisions, then where will you play it? with a small group of people you know, which may, or may not care about the maps to get on the ETF2L map-pool?
I think I have a soloution, that people that want to play will enjoy, and people that don’t like to play other maps rather than the ones we have right now on ETF2L would enjoy.
Another Pickup system, to be based on the normal one, the only difference will be the maps that will be played on those pickups.
Like a “New Maps Pickup”.
Where people like Trath, and laerin, won’t be playing, and won’t be trying out, will stay out of the pickup by their choise.
And people like me, and Coke, and I believe many more, will play and have fun, trying them out, and trying to understand the map and learn it :>.

Trath

Quoted from JackyLegs

longer wall of text

wow ata kanire beamet otist.
ein zoreh be mapot hadashot ma ata lo mevin?
ze she ata roze lesahek mapot hadashot ki ze kef leha lo omer she hayavim lasim mapot hadashot be pug’s.
Ze she ata roze lesahek be mapot hadashot ve hoshev she tazliah leashpiah she yahnisu mapot hadashot ze mazhik, ki af ehad lo sam aleha zayin.
Leh tesahek im ha clan shelha be mapot hadashot o she tavi ba yad, ma she yaase leha tov.

JackyLegs

4SKINGS
SDCK!

Quoted from Trath

[…]
b0h3

Walla ata trath, ahla gever, dai livkot, kola mezia ya idiot, lo omer she hayav, ho ose survey, az ani mezia, tazia masho yoter tov bimkom livkot.
kthxbye

AnimaL

get a room jews

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »