Forum

Pixel Pickup 2.0 - Discussion Thread

Created 3rd September 2012 @ 17:58

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4

Leif

Quoted from Monkeh

I was thinking along the lines of a one stop shop for all though you see. Those in PUG 2 and who don’t want to play with newbies can host there own circle jerk PUGS and those that might want to help a few newbies out or who don’t care very much can make a nice mixed PUG for all.

Also the lower skilled guys can play in their environment without getting raged at or called names be higher skilled guys who didn’t really want to play with a div 6’er.

Having options is good, having options all in one single place is better.

You mean more like room based like TF2Lobby but with the difference that only the bot can open a new room when a pickup starts – and with the skill difference obv?

I dont like the idea at all maybe because I’m stuck with the current pickup irc channel system and I dont even if it could work, but it might actually.

But still, how can you deny not skilled player to join that pu2 style pickup without checking their skill level? I cant think of any good idea that isnt either to make ETF2L div check (not really reliable for div3) or invite based which is not meant to be Pixelpickup.
And even if it was implemented, what would make high div players join pixelpickup instead of pu2 that works and it’s invite based?

Last edited by Leif,

Monkeh

.:ne:.

Couldn’t we have 2 systems?

1) as now with captains mode or without but open to all and free for newbs to ‘ruin’ the game.

2) private mode with only people invited or based on skill or w/e.

I have no idea how difficult this kind of thing is so excuse me if I’m asking for the stars, but the option to keep a particular PUG high skilled would keep everyone in the same place and we wouldn’t need tf2lobby, pixel, PUG2 AND this thing.

EVERYONE can be on the same website playing in the same or different games but one big whole all together and not split up over numerous irc channels and websites.

My name is Byte and I would like to play in a high skilled PUG right about now: DIV 2+ PUG STARTED.

My name is Kaidus and I’d like to play with some div 6’ers and show them a few things right about now: OPEN PUG STARTED.

My name is Byte and now I’d like to play with some reasonably skilled guys and give them a helping hand: DIV4+ PUG STARTED.

My name is Monkeh and right now I’d like to play with other shitters like me and no-one above div 5: DIV 5-6 PUG STARTED NOW.

This way everyone can play the kind of games they want when they want all from the same place.

I’m an idealist obviously.

Keyro

Cheater

Skyride want to make a very easy and simple thing web based and you all want him to recreate tf2lobby :x. A “pro” lobby thing would probably be the very best thing tf2 need to florish but…. that already exists. Why not contact the creator of tf2lobby, the guys behind css mixes or leetgamerz (fr) to adapt it to TF2 ?

On topic :

1) Captain vs Current system : current system. In my opinion captain system is ok for something based on a little group of players who knows each other. ==> Something you can find on a dead thing like IRC. If you make a web based thing you can imagine to have waaaay more players with some advertissement (tf2blog ?).

However the captain system seems interresting, maybe envisage the 2 options in your code then after some weeks, choose what players prefers ?

Last edited by Keyro,

r00p

Hey, good luck with this, it sounds like a great idea. Fwiw I agree with Monkeh, if you want to appeal to everyone you’ll need options for both a captain system and a tf2lobby type system for the hordes who don’t know each other.

Monkeh

Quoted from r00p

Fwiw I agree with Monkeh

Never…ever admit this in public…honestly. No-one will ever take you seriously again…ever.

Just a friendly word of advice.

laerin

-9w-

In the end, it’ll come down to how many of us are willing to suck it up and play medic:

http://i.imgur.com/w1gmY.png

Medics being those with the red m by their name (which is just about half of those added up)

Last edited by laerin,

Mercyless

ORACLE

I agree with Monkeh on…EVERYTHING!

dodgydogman

Panda

Here are my random thoughts on how a TF2 lobby/matchmaking system should work.

I do not think that it is clever to divide the community in almost any way as we are a very small esport as it is, and would make finding a game take longer.

You eventually boil everything down to 2 options: create lobby or quickmatch. You can create a party to join either.

With both lobby and quick match, there should be lots of options such as inputting divisions you are looking to play. You should be able to input a server for the client to use, and if you are more than 3 in a party you can also suggest the mumble server.

The system could check everyone’s profiles in either the lobby or the party, and if it detects that there are 4 or more people in the same 6v6 team (maybe have to also tick a box), more options become available, such as only playing teams with the same or more players. (THIS WOULD BE AMAZING).

The system basically takes the people banded together either through the lobby system and/or the quick match matching 6 players of the skill requested and finds another team of players who all request the same division, with at least one person who suggest a server, or taking one from a pool, like lobby does.

With the lobby system, you can make it not search the 6v6 matchamaking system if you want, allowing you to simply have an open game of 12 slots to join and maybe learn about the game.

Something like this will make finding and playing mixes SO MUCH EASIER than the system now, which is spamming everyone “any mixes going on?”, it would also match teams more likely with teams and mixes with mixes. Maybe make it give suggestions to mixparties what division they should search based on their average division finish.

Have report methods similar to lobby where leaves get a %, and you can report for not joining the mumble. Having a way to record how long it takes the person to join a game and displaying that average would be cool. People with less game leaves, mumble abandones and fast gamejoins should be favoured for slots in games. Anyone with too high scores should create flags for admins to have a word with them or ban them.
This system means no more “oh we have 2, lets spend the next hour looking for people wanting to mix”, “i cant be bothered to find a mix/put one together so i just wont play”, “lets spam irc with 6v6 teams only plz, only to get a ‘team’ of 3 people and the rest are prem people offclassing.” etc. Sure pixel is alright for this, but I really cant be asked to log into quakenet, and im sure there are so many people put off for one reason or another.

Make a 1 stop place for all comp tf2 needs. There are simple boards where people can put up a message saying either when their team will be playing, requesting other teams, and when someone is going to create a noobyhelp lobby where people can learn things from the pros.

Basically what Im saying: make the get go VERY simple and easy, 2 buttons minimum to start playing (let it take your highest division finish, or your party’s, if you cant be bothered to input a division), but also make it so there are LOTS of options for people who want a more specific experience.

6:35 in the morning, most of what I say is probably obvious or bs.
TLDR: Make it take less than or 2 buttons to start playing, more complexity is optional to the player, but match teams with teams and mixes with mixes.

Last edited by dodgydogman,

Raxen

MATCH MAKING SYSTEM. I like everything said from dodgydogman and maybe we wont use more irc clients (I dont like them) everything should be easy to acess.I talked with Nightbox(one of the guys started making MM) and he said that the source code is in the web there was a beta for short and maybe if somebody develop the whole system and maybe run the beta for 1 mounth for fixing the main bugs(dont sue me if I’m a dreamer, I am not a programmer :) )

This can replace the #tf.wars for ex. div 4 teams(mixes) only and your team join and wait for opponents. Thats my visions for it I hope all my dreams come true :D.

dodgydogman

Panda

This is going to seem really tryhard, but I really like things like game design and ui design: http://i.imgur.com/DL2yL.png

This is a shitty art vision of how the ui should be laid out for a matchmaking system imo. Its very similar to lobby, but I think lobby doesnt do a lot of things right.

TBH if lobby forced players to join a mumble and let you set a division for open games, and set an option for teams only, it would be pretty much perfect.

Last edited by dodgydogman,

envy

Quoted from dodgydogman

This is going to seem really tryhard, but I really like things like game design and ui design: http://i.imgur.com/DL2yL.png

http://static3.fjcdn.com/comments/Jesus+Christ+How+Horrifying+thread+_92eb6f9b46fd5beeb9e0e87c05acdf2b.jpg
tl;dr let to bring friends in one team, right? There is better ways to do so, other than tf2lobby 2.0, imo.

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from dodgydogman

This is a shitty art vision of how the ui should be laid out for a matchmaking system imo. Its very similar to lobby, but I think lobby doesnt do a lot of things right.

TBH if lobby forced players to join a mumble and let you set a division for open games, and set an option for teams only, it would be pretty much perfect.

That is not a fluid design.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4