Forum

i46: The American Project

Created 18th June 2012 @ 22:00

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 9 10 11 ... 21 Next »

Leftism

W.tf
KC&LtL

Quoted from Swifty

Also, is there any way we could get kaidus, cx, greg, djc etc to take over vanillatv? It would be for the better of the community.

:(

h1

:3
BM

Quoted from atmo

You grossly overestimate the “sponsor” money in TF2 and should perhaps keep your ignorant posts out of the thread until you are better informed.

“IN MY OPINION”

CommanderX

(ETF2L Donator)
TEZC

Quoted from Swifty

[…]

Why did you bring VTV into this? I don’t recall anyone asking for the VTV casting trio, just euro casters…
Also, is there any way we could get kaidus, cx, greg, djc etc to take over vanillatv? It would be for the better of the community.

shut up swifty.

I was just pointing out there were maybe unexplored possibilities with people available to cast late. w/e.

back on topic, this is a great but to succeed more fundraising things need to be done to get people to donate. Let’s organise some show matches?? or further explore the ideas discussed in the NA topic.

I’m sure you’ve got plenty of volunteers but if you need help with anything, hit me up.

Swifty

ξ(゜ヮ゜)ξ

Quoted from CommanderX

[…]

shut up swifty.

I was just pointing out there were maybe unexplored possibilities with people available to cast late. w/e.

back on topic, this is a great but to succeed more fundraising things need to be done to get people to donate. Let’s organise some show matches?? or further explore the ideas discussed in the NA topic.

I’m sure you’ve got plenty of volunteers but if you need help with anything, hit me up.

get good bruv.

shdwpuppet

Quoted from Greg

[…]

Thanks

I haven’t spoken to extine about covering this upcoming event, will ask him once I have a few days off.

message me instead, extine is on his honeymoon and wont be around for the LAN, I am handling production.

Quoted from h1

[…]

my point still remains, the teams themself will only chip in if they have practically most of the money coming from other players, we all put effort in ourselfs to get to lans paying 100-300 for a weekend at a lan, yet they are game to come i46 yet there own sponsors/players want a free lan trip fuck that, unless its close to the 20,000$ my money isn’t going towards it, as they are doing it practically themselves. IMO

I assure you that the personal contribution of each player will be at least 200$ USD by the time everything is said and done(when aggregated into the fund each team provides, each individual player is unlikely to be able to contribute that personally, but as a team it will average out there). Everyone is thinking that they wont do anything until we are close to our goal, but that leaves no one doing anything. Now we are at 1000 dollars which, while far from our goal, is a great start. I am recently jobless (by choice, pursuing different careers) so I will be able to dedicate much more time to this project. As another poster put it, everyone needs to stop being so self centered here. The players are not getting a free vacation, the hostility is not welcome or appreciated and the attitude of the few is being allowed to sway the discussion to the side of “why should I do this” instead of “what do we all, as players and community members, gain from this?”

There is a lot for everyone to gain. The most obvious is that those who are going will get to sit side by side with some of the biggest names in NA tf2, see them play live against great euro teams with no lag, no bullshit, no confusion. This is a great community builder and the opportunity to get the eXtv staff (who are paying their own way) to meet with the VanillaTV staff in person, develop those ties, will only improve the content coverage for everyone.

There is also the issue of, since eXtv will not be live producing the event, we can post produce a documentary about the event, show everyone everywhere, if they could come to i46 or not, the event and what it means to everyone. This sort of stunt also pulls sponsors in, seeing a community band together is what big name sponsors like.

It will allow us to have a big, international, exciting event for our growing non competitive viewer base, because it is important for the longevity of the game that pubbers become aware and excited about events like these.

All these things means new interest, money, excitement, content etc for each and every one of you. Surely that is worth sacrificing one night out drinking.

Also, your point is blatantly and horrifically wrong. Nowhere did any of the potential team members say that they would only contribute if we were close. Far from it, the teams themselves have pledged the largest single donation amounts, they are just waiting to see who is going to actually go (plus, our premiership is in a week, they are kinda focused on that).

In addition, of the 4 teams that are up for the chance to go, 3 are community sponsored and one is sponsored by an organisation so small, they were only able to pay for 1 of the flight tickets (LG, if you are reading this, you are really appreciated and your contributions mean a lot to everyone, you have been in the game for a long time and your honesty and meaningful contributions do not go unnoticed). Ergo, this sort of deal we are doing here is THE ONLY METHOD OF SPONSORSHIP IN NA TF2. We want to have an exciting lan to watch, a scene to get behind, so we provide for it season after season after season.

If you don’t want to or cannot donate, then don’t. But spreading misinformed dissent here where we are trying to do something productive for the community is only poisonous to the discussion. Your issues with the fundraiser have been brought up in the pages past in a more polite and productive way and discussed maturely. The point at the end of the day is that you as a person and you all as a community have a lot to gain here, as does the NA community, so why can’t we all just get a long for 2 months and see if we can’t make something happen here?

Quoted from CommanderX

[…]

Yes, we do need to do a lot more in the way of showmatches, raffles, premium content etc but eXtv as an organisation is missing our founder and CEO due to a marriage, and all other higher level staffers are busy with ESEA LAN coverage preparations. This leaves us with very little time as an organisation with which to do a lot in the way of fundraising. The teams themselves are also quite busy as they are all preparing for ESEA LAN. We have quite a few things planned and a few audiences still left untapped.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from shdwpuppet

Extremely long wall of text.

TL:DR = Donate your spare change for now, I doubt many here were planning on donating over £20 and honestly who would miss that?

I piss that much away on a round of beers, or I would except everytime it is my round there is always a family emergency and I have to rush home. The point is still the same, it is small change even if the project fails (and I have no doubt it will succeed getting at least 1 team there) what are you missing? The money you would have instead spent on some shit takeaway food for an evening.

Give the man a break and donate.

h1

:3
BM

Quoted from shdwpuppet

*snip*

like i said ill donate when i see a decent increase (£30 set aside), and i can opinion-ate what i like its an opinion. be it false or not. im all for the eu vs na battle :)

Last edited by h1,

Pricee

has $w@G

thanks for quoting the entire post :S

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

As long as Byte doesn’t cast. Get Arx & Beta or Admirable and DJC.

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from Ghent

[…]
No it hasn’t, you’re giving extremely vague answers while refusing to go into numbers. It’s seems that you haven’t done any costing, or if you have you’re keeping it secret for some bizarre reason.

Have to agree with Ghent here. Before I’d donate any larger sum of money, I’d like to see concrete plans of what will be done with the money. A kind of rudimentary business plan. This means concrete numbers and declaration of costs, and clear donation-milestones with explanations what will be done with x amount of money. This means no “if we get too much we will probably/maybe/possibly”. Asking for this grand sum of 20.000 asks for some responsibility and transparency.

I don’t think numbers are being kept secret for some bizarre reason, I think the organisers of this fundraiser, while noble and having good ideals, should have thought out this plan just a few steps more than the current situation.

Once more just to get rid of any misunderstandings: I love this initative, I’d love to see NA players at i46, and I love seeing the community work together to achieve this goal. This does not warrant asking for big sums of money without a clear plan though.

howdeh

Perilous
WUL

Quoted from shdwpuppet

[…]
Now we are at 1000 dollars which, while far from our goal, is a great start. I am recently jobless (by choice, pursuing different careers)

Woah… timing, must be working on some big projects, eh?

shdwpuppet

Quoted from skeej

[…]

Have to agree with Ghent here. Before I’d donate any larger sum of money, I’d like to see concrete plans of what will be done with the money.

Oh crap, I said I would post this and I completely forgot.

My assumption is $1200 per person per plane ticket. (which is actually the average of all the player’s home airport’s flight costs to London Heathrow or Birmingham, whichever is cheaper)
$7,200 per team, so bare minimum to send one team is that, to send two is $14,400. We have talked about individual team contributions, but since the teams arent decided, we cant really ask them to give us an estimate.

PC rental is an additional 60 pounds so ~$90 per person. $540 for each team, for a total of $1080. This is for multiplay rental which is no longer an option (they are out of computers) so we will need to find an alternative solution. (suggestions are more than welcome)

So that’s all just making sure they get in the country and have a computer ready, no ground transport costs or hotels included. It also assumes ticket prices for either airfare or computer rental don’t climb by July 8th.

Frankly, if the total gets above $10,000 before the July 8th tournament we’ll be telling people to wait to donate more until we get plane tickets for the winning teams lined up. But everything staying the same price as it is for our estimates, we are looking at least 15480 to send two teams, 7740 for one.

Hotels are a different matter, here we have a choice. We have consolidated our selection to Uni accommodations and Premiere Inn. For 3 rooms with two people in each, it would cost about $1377, or $2674 for two teams at the Premiere Inn (all prices are in USD for this post btw). There are no doubles for Uni accommodations, so that would be $2452 for 12 people, $1226 for 6 (one team). Assuming we go with the Uni Accommodation, we are now looking at over 18000 (after taxes and fees) and this still doesn’t get us to Telford, from Telford etc, this is just bare bones, as little as we can reasonable spend with no room for any extra taxes, fees (computer rental is likely to be much higher than is listed above) etc.

I hope that is detailed enough for you, this was all drawn out before fundraising begin, we didnt throw a dart at a board and asked for what it landed on.

Quoted from shdwpuppet

Hotels

why?
tents not good enough?

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Pynklùùùnningen

[…]

why?
tents not good enough?

AMERICANS SO FAT THEY WOULDNT FIT IN.

atmo

Skeej as you probably know the flights are the main concern, but a firm valuation for those can’t be given until the deciding cup between the four teams as flights for different individuals will vary according to where they live and what date the flights are booked by. I’d expect firmer values after ESEA LAN.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 9 10 11 ... 21 Next »