Forum

Chris is a nerd, heres his blog

Created 6th November 2010 @ 20:24

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

jgmaster

BM

Quoted from jagbama

[…]

Yeah, I know. And? I support what Chris is trying to do, and I also support what ST8 et al have done in setting ETF2L up in the first place. Like I said, it’s awkward.

It sounded like you were saying that it’s easy for you to criticise but this is a free service provided for us. If this is/were the case then Chris is not just critiscing without providing answers, he’s actively asked to help out.

Also if people didn’t critisce then things would never get done. Obviously there’s ways of doing it tactfully but you can’t just stand by while there are issues. Especially if you can offer answers.

konr

The only solution is to get ahold of ST8 and get him to make Chris and Adam into tech admins.

Dr-GimpfeN

9g1c

stop wasting web storage with your bullshit!

JimmyBreeze

k^m

accrued technical maladroit

ST8

This is only a problem we’ve had since moving to mp. Only admins with static ips can access the server, unfortunately i appear to be the only admin with one at the moment. I personally can only access etf2l from home and im not there all that often. I’ve just started a new job and run a number of freelance projects simultaneously. I have pretty much zero time to fix anything here. It was only because the javascript exploit was so serious that i patched it immediately.

I’ve been talking to mp for weeks to try and get a secondary access method setup but they are equally snowed under with support requests. We have a number of developers we want to take on, just waiting for the access rights.

PS. Deneus hopefully has a static *ish* ip and has offered to help fix up some of the immediate problems. We’re just waiting for mp to add this ip to the firewall, then hopefully some things will get fixed.

Dr-GimpfeN

9g1c

Quoted from ST8

This is only a problem we’ve had since moving to mp. Only admins with static ips can access the server, unfortunately i appear to be the only admin with one at the moment. I personally can only access etf2l from home and im not there all that often. I’ve just started a new job and run a number of freelance projects simultaneously. I have pretty much zero time to fix anything here. It was only because the javascript exploit was so serious that i patched it immediately.

I’ve been talking to mp for weeks to try and get a secondary access method setup but they are equally snowed under with support requests. We have a number of developers we want to take on, just waiting for the access rights.

PS. Deneus hopefully has a static *ish* ip and has offered to help fix up some of the immediate problems. We’re just waiting for mp to add this ip to the firewall, then hopefully some things will get fixed.

i lol’ed

Spike Himself

TC

The entire admin team is still on dial-up?

wat

Linus

[d¿s]

Quoted from Spike Himself

wat

wat?

dynamic ip is not exclusive to dial up

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Linus

[…]

wat?

dynamic ip is not exclusive to dial up

orly?

shit my ip changes once every 5 years, now i cant program :<

Skyride

DUCS

Thanks for that ST8, nice to get a clear answer to something I’ve been trying to work out for a couple of months. That does sound like a shitty setup though. :(

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from ST8

Holy sweet Jesus that is a terrible setup. Why do MP have it set up like that? There are plenty of better authentication methods to be had than limiting access to a certain set of IPs.

wat

Not sure what you mean, pretty much all home ADSL lines are dynamic.

Last edited by octochris,

ST8

Its because we use svn+ssh for commits to the svn server and ssh is ip whitelisted. Theres no webdav module for nginx so we cant switch to http/https authentication.

octochris

(0v0)

The search bug, and what it means (part 2): http://fakkelbrigade.eu/chris/blog/2010/11/the-search-bug-and-what-it-means-part-2/

Quoted from ST8

Its because we use svn+ssh for commits to the svn server and ssh is ip whitelisted. Theres no webdav module for nginx so we cant switch to http/https authentication.

There are plenty of secondary authentication methods you could implement w/ SSH if you allowed ranges.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from octochris

Not sure what you mean, pretty much all home ADSL lines are dynamic.

shit my ip changes once every 5 years, now i cant program :<

Apparently I don’t know how it works everywhere else in the world, but here having a dynamic IP means “your ISP might change it, but actually never will”.

Last edited by Spike Himself,

octochris

(0v0)

Apparently I don’t know how it works everywhere else in the world, but here having a dynamic IP means “your ISP might change it, but actually never will”.

It means you’re leased a new IP every time you GHS.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »