Forum

ESWC news ! IMPORTANT FOR ESPORT and certainly good news for TF2

Created 22nd July 2010 @ 14:53

Add A Reply Pages: 1

bun

http://www.team-aaa.com/news-16728-0-2-eswc_interview_de_jean-marie_coutant.html

Go to the english page (page 2)

“Bankers came to see me during the event, they were surprised by Trackmania for instance which is very visual. It’s also things like that we need to develop, besides of course the very elitist side of Counter-Strike, to draw attention of the audience.”

>> TF2 gogo !

caned

MEAT
LEGO

i want money for playing tf2 >:(

Defur

what what are we supposed to do?

is there a tl;dr for those who cba to read the gigantic wall-of-text?

bun

It will take 10 minutes in your life :). Those informations are so important.

Last edited by bun,

Inuy

#sadboys

Indeed they are important , hope something happens for tf2.

kuma

I’m really skeptical about this, especially as the trend for e-sports overall is currently downwards. The fact of the matter is past experience has proven that e-sports must first employ a sustainable model which generates revenue before it will ever have any serious impact. Sure, you may always get that odd Russian sugar-daddy to use his oil funds much like in football but relying on this (as is the current trend) will get us nowhere.

The problem is, no-one learns from past mistakes such as CGS, CPL, CAL, and more recently in the NA TF2 scene, XPL. The latter fiasco has generated some good articles over on CommFT which are definitely worth a read if you are interested in this sort of thing.

http://communityfortress.com/tf2/blog/sick-of-getting-tread-on-then-stop-propping-up-the-status-quo.php
http://communityfortress.com/tf2/blog/sick-of-getting-tread-on-part-ii-killing-the-wsop-model.php
http://communityfortress.com/tf2/blog/sick-of-getting-tread-on-part-iii-the-way-forward.php

That’s not to say competitive video gaming is dying, on the contrary, the release of more such games should only prove that this genre is popular. The success of small, non-profit leagues like etf2l proves this point.

However, when it comes to e-sports that’s a whole different story. We will never emulate the Korean pro-Starcraft business model or even get another CPL until someone creates a blueprint for a successful, sustainable e-sports business model especially with the current financial climate. This interview gives nothing on his plans and he even admits it is difficult if not impossible to do this without making a loss. He just expects sponsors and Dubai to throw money at him? Who is going to want to invest in that?

tl;dr: Don’t expect to make a living playing video games for the foreseeable future, the era of fatal1ty is gone.

Last edited by kuma,

kuma

Just to add: It may not be healthy for e-sports to evolve in such a way either. Take the Korean pro SC scene for example, each team is sponsored by a corporation, and the CEO of the largest of these chairs the governing body (KeSPA). The direction they take the game is not necessarily always in the best interest of the players, but to make the most money possible. The rules they enforce are often against the spirit of the community as they are not gamers themselves.

Really, what is the benefit of another CPL? Motivation from prize money? To those people who want to win millions playing a game, I say you’re doing it for the wrong reasons in the first place. Motivation should come from enjoying the game, not burning yourself out for a chance of a paycheck at the end.

Last edited by kuma,

Spike Himself

TC

This article (or the first half of it, as that is how much I managed to read) seems to have quite a few similarities with waving a spoon about to make it clear to your surroundings that you are not willing to eat the rubber glove you found in your newly bought frying pan.

What I’m trying to say is that it didn’t make much sense, if any at all.

But that’s probably just me.

(also, grammar :s)

Last edited by Spike Himself,

Add A Reply Pages: 1