Forum

#pixeltf2.pickup

Created 19th July 2010 @ 19:18

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 14 15 16 ... 29 Next »

randa

Quoted from .____________.

[…]

Randa, please stop being an idiot and come back when you actually know what pickup2 looks like. It’s not about basic commands, more like stuff like the !friend only as medic command.

Oh no I havent got a clue what it looks like have i ? wrong again…

kuma

Quoted from Vali

I’m fairly sure the issue here is not with obvious commands like !add but more ones more specific to just the p2 bot, such as implementing friends for the medics that obviously wouldn’t have been found in other bots.

The actual issue is not even with implementing the idea, because obviously nobody owns any sort of copyright on these features and good ideas tend to get adopted by other people. Rather it’s the manner in which adam is going about getting them which is, as illii pointed out, sitting in p2 and copying stuff from f2’s bot. If he had asked f2, either f2 would’ve been happy to help him or I’m sure he would’ve made it clear that copying stuff from his bot was something that bothered him and adam would’ve known not to do it.

Is there any harm in being polite and asking?

if the issue’s about how adam got the commands rather than the commands themselves, then that’s between adam and F2 as n0va says.

Waebi

‹Con›

Adam is a thief
he stole the !add command
created by F2 “the chief”
out of his bare hand

What a fraud, what a deceit
Adam stole an idea
What a falsehood, what a cheat
It gives me diarrhea

How is that for a poem?

On a more serious note, everything Adam did was completely legal. He did not copy code, he rewrote it. I’m sure F2 is more likely to be happy, seeing that the bot he created inspired someone else to create a similar system, than be angry about him using the same !commands.

Last edited by Waebi,

Skyride

DUCS

I think the last few pages are proof, if proof be needed, that it is impossible to keep everyone happy.

I presume that F2 is infact, perfectly capable of expressing any problems he has with me using idea’s from his bot himself.

If the issue is the !friend command, fair enough, I can understand that, but to be fair I’m only adding it after having an overwhelming amount of asking for it. I didn’t even plan to add it in the first place. Medic of the week, same thing. But everything else just seems so totally obvious for a pickup bot that I don’t see the issue.

Last edited by Skyride,

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

I think we should change add to “!ICHOOSE SCOUT” etc.

Invite please

Lirish

Last edited by Leicesterirish,

Waebi

‹Con›

how about no.

murder

cQr

!friend all the way imo ;)

Quoted from Waebi

He did not copy code, he rewrote it.

This, but he didn’t even rewrite it, he wrote it from scratch. This means this bot is fully his (Adam’s) excluding the api he used, no matter what the commands are. Unless of course F2 trademarked/patented the commands, which I doubt he did.

Is this so hard to understand?

</2cents>

Last edited by dotfloat™,

Skyride

DUCS

Could I ask that this doesn’t get into arguements about the bot please? Because quite frankly (and I don’t mean this insultingly), I could probably count the people who’d actually know what they are talking about on one hand. Its just a piece of software, same as your IRC client, TF2, Firefox, etc. Theres more to a pickup channel than the bot managing it.

Also, just to note. How a bot works is really irrelevant, especially here. They’re both written in completely different kinds of programming languages so from that perspective, there will be virtually no similarities between the bots. What matters is what the people using it (i.e. the people in the IRC channel) actually see.

Last edited by Skyride,

octochris

(0v0)

sh stole the cd command from windows

true story

Last edited by octochris,

F2

Danmark

Of course Adam can make his bot however he wants. I spend a lot of time developing the ideas for my bot and if others like them they can use them. Imagine where we would be today if we couldn’t borrow the best ideas from each other – only one browser would have tabs, and only one browser would have bookmarks, etc.

When Adam made a new bot I assumed he did it because he wanted to have some new features that my bot didn’t have. So if the bot is indeed pretty much a copy of mine, it bugs me why he didn’t just ask me to put my bot on his channel. I guess he wanted the programmatic challenge – the same reason I started making the bot in the first place.

Sofa King

ban engi unlocks.

Swifty

ξ(゜ヮ゜)ξ

Quoted from Vali

I’m fairly sure the issue here is not with obvious commands like !add but more ones more specific to just the p2 bot, such as implementing friends for the medics that obviously wouldn’t have been found in other bots.

The actual issue is not even with implementing the idea, because obviously nobody owns any sort of copyright on these features and good ideas tend to get adopted by other people. Rather it’s the manner in which adam is going about getting them which is, as illii pointed out, sitting in p2 and copying stuff from f2’s bot. If he had asked f2, either f2 would’ve been happy to help him or I’m sure he would’ve made it clear that copying stuff from his bot was something that bothered him and adam would’ve known not to do it.

Is there any harm in being polite and asking?

get in there vali! Knight in shining armor to illii’s rescue!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Quoted from Sofa King

ban engi unlocks.

Koeitje roaming engi

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 14 15 16 ... 29 Next »